Exploring the Basics of Fractional Calculus: Prerequisites and Applications

In summary: It's just that the concepts behind fractional calculus are more involved and often require taking derivatives of fractional integrals.
AdrianZ
the title says everything. I encountered this term and I wanted to know what fractional calculus is and what it does.

Physics news on Phys.org
From the very little I read (and of which I can rememebr reading) from a textbook by Jerome Spanier and Oldham.

Fractional Calculus generalises the integration and differential operators.

For example have you ever wondered what [tex]\frac{d^{\frac{1}{2}}}{dx^{\frac{1}{2}}}[/tex] would stand for?

The book covers the theory and its application as I can remmber in stuff like diffusion equations and other stuff.

I see, a complete answer would be appreciated.. what prerequisites I need to know to learn fractional calculus? do I need to have mastered partial differential equations to learn fractional calculus topics?

AdrianZ said:
I see, a complete answer would be appreciated.. what prerequisites I need to know to learn fractional calculus? do I need to have mastered partial differential equations to learn fractional calculus topics?

Well, the first few chapters you don't need more than Calculus 2-3 (chapter 1-5), chapters 6-7, it can be a plus if you have been exposed to ODE and special functions, the rest you really do need to know good PDE especially the last chapter which deals with diffusion.

I first learned of it in a PDE course dealing with Sobolev spaces. Real Analysis by Folland and PDE by Evans both have a decent introduction in the latter part of the books. Folland gives the information to understand it in the previous part (though I found Folland to be quite difficult unless you already have a decent Reals background).

what prerequisites I need to know to learn fractional calculus? do I need to have mastered partial differential equations to learn fractional calculus topics?
Not so much. Of course, you need to master Riemann integration. Riemann-Liouville Integral transform isn't more difficult than many other integral transforms, like Laplace-, Fourier-, etc.

Related to Exploring the Basics of Fractional Calculus: Prerequisites and Applications

1. What is fractional calculus?

Fractional calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with derivatives and integrals of non-integer order. It extends the traditional calculus, which deals with integer orders, to fractional orders. It has applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and finance.

2. How is fractional calculus different from traditional calculus?

The main difference between fractional calculus and traditional calculus is that fractional calculus deals with derivatives and integrals of non-integer order, while traditional calculus deals with derivatives and integrals of integer order. Fractional calculus also allows for a more accurate representation of phenomena that exhibit fractal or self-similar behavior.

3. What are some real-world applications of fractional calculus?

Fractional calculus has many applications in the real world. It can be used to model viscoelastic materials, such as rubber and polymers, that exhibit fractional order behavior. It also has applications in signal processing, control systems, and finance, where fractional differential equations can better describe the behavior of complex systems.

4. How is fractional calculus related to fractals?

Fractional calculus and fractals are closely related. Fractals are geometric figures or mathematical sets that exhibit self-similarity at different scales. Fractional calculus allows for a more accurate description of fractal phenomena by using derivatives and integrals of non-integer order.

5. Is fractional calculus a new concept?

No, fractional calculus has been around for centuries. The first known use of fractional calculus dates back to the 17th century when mathematician Gottfried Leibniz introduced the idea of fractional integration. However, it was not until the 20th century that fractional calculus gained more attention and found practical applications in various fields.