Exploring the 1D Wave Function: (x,t) = Ae–a|x| e–it

In summary, the conversation is about a one-dimensional, time-dependent wave function for infinite motion with positive real constants A, a, and ω. The questions being discussed are about the normalization constant A, the quantum-mechanical expectation values of coordinate x and x^2, and the square of momentum ^p^2. The person asking the questions is having trouble with the integration involved in calculating the normalization constant and asks for help. They clarify that they are not familiar with this type of math and request for the other person to show their work up to where they are stuck.
Cybercole
Ψ(x,t)=A⋅exp(A|x|)⋅exp(−iωt)

Consider the one-dimensional, time-dependent wave function for infinite motion: (x,t) = Ae–a|x| e–it where A, a, and  are positive real constants. What are: (a) normalization constant A, (b) the quantum-mechanical expectation value of coordinate x, (c) the quantum-mechanical expectation value of x2, and (d) the quantum-mechanical expectation value of the square of momentum ^p2

Physics news on Phys.org
They look like they are straightforward to integrate... what is your problem exactly?
Do you not understand what a normalization constant is, or how to calculate it, or did you get stuck in the integration, or ... ?

I know how to normalize a funtion but i am getting stuck in the middle of it... we have never normalize somthing like this before all we have ever done was matrices, i am not very strong in this type of math

Last edited:
Cybercole said:
I know how to normalize a funtion but i am getting stuck in the middle of it...
Please show your work, up to the part where you are stuck.

(a) The normalization constant A can be found by integrating the square of the wave function over all space and setting it equal to 1, as the wave function must be normalized. This results in A = (√a/π)√(1/(a^2+ω^2)).

(b) The quantum-mechanical expectation value of coordinate x is given by <x> = ∫x|Ψ(x,t)|^2 dx. Plugging in the given wave function, we get <x> = 0, as the wave function is symmetric about the origin and the integral of an odd function over a symmetric interval is always zero.

(c) The quantum-mechanical expectation value of x^2 is given by <x^2> = ∫x^2|Ψ(x,t)|^2 dx. Plugging in the given wave function, we get <x^2> = (1/2a^2)+(1/2ω^2), as the integral of an even function over a symmetric interval is equal to twice the integral over half the interval.

(d) The quantum-mechanical expectation value of the square of momentum ^p2 is given by <^p^2> = ∫Ψ*(x,t)(-ħ^2d^2/dx^2)Ψ(x,t) dx. Plugging in the given wave function and simplifying, we get <^p^2> = ħ^2(a^2+ω^2)/2. This shows that the expectation value of ^p^2 is a constant, independent of time, which is a characteristic of a stationary state.

Related to Exploring the 1D Wave Function: (x,t) = Ae–a|x| e–it

1. What is the 1D wave function?

The 1D wave function, denoted by Ψ(x,t) = Ae–a|x| e–iωt, is a mathematical representation of a quantum wave in one-dimensional space. It describes the probability of finding a particle at a specific position (x) and time (t).

2. What do the symbols in the 1D wave function represent?

The symbol A represents the amplitude of the wave, which determines its overall height and intensity. The symbol a represents the decay constant, which determines how quickly the wave decreases in amplitude as the position (x) increases. The symbol ω represents the frequency of the wave, which determines how often the wave oscillates in time (t).

3. How is the 1D wave function used in quantum mechanics?

The 1D wave function is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, as it allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain state. By solving the Schrödinger equation using the 1D wave function, we can determine the energy levels and behavior of a quantum system.

4. What is the significance of the exponential term in the 1D wave function?

The exponential term in the 1D wave function, e–a|x|, represents the spatial distribution of the wave. It describes how the probability of finding a particle changes as the position (x) changes. The term e–iωt represents the time dependence of the wave, showing how the wave evolves over time.

5. How is the 1D wave function related to the uncertainty principle?

The 1D wave function is related to the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. The spread of the wave function in position and momentum space can be used to calculate the uncertainty in these values, demonstrating the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.