Exploring Surface Waves in Solids

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of surface waves and the request for a PDF or website explaining the mathematical development of Rayleigh, Lamb, and Love waves. The individual also mentions their understanding of volumic waves and the need for clarification on demonstrating the existence and velocity of surface waves. They also mention a resource, Wikipedia, that could provide information on Rayleigh waves.
adressebidon099
Hello all,
- first of all sorry for my bad english, it's not my mother tong.
- I write here because I want to understand that are the surface waves and how can we demonstrate their existence ? Do you have a PDF file which speak about this ?
- For volumic waves I have seen a mathematical demonstration in the mechanical book and I understand what is a compressive and a shear wave and that is their velocities.
- For a surface wave I don't understand how we can demonstrate their existence and that is their velocity ?

To conclude, my question is : do you have a PDF (or website) where I can find the mathematical development linked to the Rayleigh, Lamb and Love waves ?

Thanks you so much !

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
To get a quick handle on things here - start with your understanding of surface waves on liquids: how do you undertsand those?
Then shift to surface waves on jelly - how do those work do you think?
A solid, in this context, can be modeled as a very very stiff jelly.

To recommend reading material - we need to have some idea of your education level, and what sort of resources you have tried.
For instance, have you see this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_wave

Related to Exploring Surface Waves in Solids

1. What are surface waves in solids?

Surface waves in solids are mechanical waves that propagate along the interface between two materials, such as a solid and a liquid or two different solids. They are also known as Rayleigh waves and are a type of guided wave, meaning they are confined to the surface of the material.

2. How are surface waves in solids different from other types of waves?

Surface waves in solids differ from other types of waves, such as bulk waves, because they do not travel through the interior of the material. Instead, they propagate along the surface, creating a rolling motion that is similar to ocean waves.

3. What causes surface waves in solids?

Surface waves in solids are caused by the interaction between the elastic properties of the material and the free surface. This results in a combination of longitudinal and transverse motions along the surface, which create the characteristic rolling wave motion.

4. What are the applications of surface waves in solids?

Surface waves in solids have various applications in fields such as geophysics, materials science, and non-destructive testing. They can be used to study the mechanical properties of materials, detect cracks and defects in structures, and measure the thickness of coatings on surfaces.

5. Can surface waves in solids be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, surface waves in solids can be controlled and manipulated by changing the properties of the material or the surface conditions. This can be useful in applications such as ultrasonic testing, where the properties of the surface waves can be adjusted to detect specific defects in materials.