Exploring SMA & TEC Devices for Response Time Improvement

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of shape memory alloys (SMAs) and thermoelectric coolers (TECs) in a project to increase response times. The person is having trouble finding force tests for NiTiNOL, a type of SMA. They also mention the need for monitoring temperatures and position of the SMA, and the potential use of a 1mm wire and 100ma lipo battery. They express concern about controlling all three variables in one controller.
petitericeball
Hi, I'm currently working on a project and I was wondering whether you guys were familiar with these "devices". SMA's are shape memory alloys, and TEC's are thermoelectric coolers/peltiers. I tried looking for a pretty long time to find the specs on shape memory alloy (more specifically NiTiNOL) and can't seem to be able to find the any force tests. The idea for this project is to increase response times by using a TEC rather than air cooling, and possibly using the TEC to heat the wire as well, depending on if it would be faster to heat with current running through the wire, or with the TEC.

I'm also wondering how I would control this. I'd assume I'd need to monitor temperatures so I don't "reset" the SMA, and I'd also need to monitor position (length) of the SMA, but since length/force/temperature are related, there might be a way to connect the 3 with some amount of error due to changes in ambient. I'm planning on using wires around 1mm maybe, and will probably eventually be using a 100ma or so lipo battery to run this.

Thanks so much!

Engineering news on Phys.org
petitericeball said:
I'm also wondering how I would control this. I'd assume I'd need to monitor temperatures so I don't "reset" the SMA, and I'd also need to monitor position (length) of the SMA, but since length/force/temperature are related, there might be a way to connect the 3 with some amount of error due to changes in ambient.
In control design, that would be a bad idea. We normally try to make each control loop as independent as possible. Although there might be come cross dependencies in the process between loops, that is an obstacle, not an advantage. A control system adding the three kinds of error in one controller would be a mess.

Related to Exploring SMA & TEC Devices for Response Time Improvement

What is SMA?

SMA stands for Shape Memory Alloy. It is a type of material that has the ability to "remember" its original shape and return to it when heated or cooled. This unique property makes it useful in various applications, including in SMA devices for response time improvement.

What are TEC devices?

TEC stands for Thermal Electric Cooler. It is a type of device that uses the Peltier effect to transfer heat from one side to the other, creating a temperature difference. These devices are commonly used in electronic cooling systems, but they can also be utilized in SMA devices to improve response time.

How do SMA and TEC devices improve response time?

SMA and TEC devices can improve response time by rapidly heating or cooling the material, causing it to change shape or size quickly. This can be useful in applications where fast response time is necessary, such as in microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) or in medical devices.

What are some potential applications of SMA and TEC devices for response time improvement?

SMA and TEC devices have a wide range of potential applications, including in aerospace and automotive industries, consumer electronics, and medical devices. They can be used to improve response time in sensors, actuators, and other devices that require fast and precise movement or temperature control.

Are there any limitations or challenges associated with using SMA and TEC devices for response time improvement?

Some potential limitations or challenges include the need for precise control of temperature and voltage in TEC devices, and the potential for fatigue or failure in SMA devices after repeated use. Additionally, the integration of these devices into existing systems may also pose challenges. Further research and development are needed to address these limitations and optimize the use of SMA and TEC devices for response time improvement.