Exploring Simultaneity in Spacetime Diagrams - A.P. French, 1968

In summary, the images have been taken from page no.74,75 and 76, special relativity , A.P.French,1968. I understand that A1' and C1' are not simultaneous in S-frame. But I don't understand the principle on whose basis it is claimed that A1' and C1' are simultaneous in S' -frame. Can anyone please explain these two points? But I don't understand the principle on whose basis it is claimed that A1' and C1' are simultaneous in S' -frame. I have understood it now. A,B,C are at rest in S' frame and B is in the middle of AC. So, the light emitted by B
Pushoam
s1.png
s2.png
s3.png
s4.png
SS.png

The images have been taken from page no.74,75 and 76, special relativity , A.P.French,1968
I understood that A1' and C1' are not simultaneous in S -frame.
But I don't understand the principle on whose basis it is claimed that A1' and C1' are simultaneous in S' -frame.

Here, the simultaneity is defined by the line A1 C1 in S -frame. I didn't understand this ,too.
The simultaneity should be defined by two points A1 and C1 in S -frame. Shouldn't it?

Can anyone please explain these two points?

Attachments

• S5.png
    S5.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 373
  • S6.png
    S6.png
    93 KB · Views: 406
  • s7.png
    s7.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 445
  • s8.png
    s8.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 419
  • s9.png
    s9.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:
But I don't understand the principle on whose basis it is claimed that A1' and C1' are simultaneous in S' -frame.
I have understood it now.
A,B,C are at rest in S' frame and B is in the middle of AC.
So, the light emitted by B will reach A and C at the same time.
Hence, A1' and C1' are simultaneous in S' -frame.

But I haven't understood the second question.
Pushoam said:
Here, the simultaneity is defined by the line A1 C1 in S -frame. I didn't understand this ,too.
The simultaneity should be defined by two points A1 and C1 in S -frame. Shouldn't it?

The logic in the second diagram is the same as the first. You're using the same method, which can concisely be described as the midpoint method, to determine if two events are simultaneous or not, but in a different frame of reference.

The midpoint method says that if B is the midpoint between A and C, a signal emitted at B will arive "at the same time" at events A and C. The tricky part is to realize that the notion of "at the same time" is frame dependent, which is what the exercise is trying to show. If you assume that "at the same time" has some meaning independent of the frame of reference used, and you try to assume that the speed of light is equal to "c" for all observers, you'll wind up with a paradox. One of the two assumptions has to go. Many people get stuck here, and can't let go of the notion that simultaneity depends on the frame of reference, so they basically wind up rejecting the important notion of relativity, that the speed of light is "c" for all observers.

But if you can accept the idea that simultaneity is frame dependent, the seeming paradox disappears.

Likes Pushoam
pervect said:
But if you can accept the idea that simultaneity is frame dependent, the seeming paradox disappears.
This I understood, pervect.
What I don't understand is :
Why is the simultaneity defined by the line A1 C1 in S -frame instead of the two points A1and C1?
Please, explain me this.

Pushoam said:
Why is the simultaneity defined by the line A1 C1 in S -frame instead of the two points A1and C1?
Please, explain me this.
Because simultaneity is not limited to the two events, there can be an infinite number of events which are simultaneous. That's what that line represents, the set of all possible events in spacetime simultaneous with ##A_1## and ##C_1## in frame ##S##. Simultaneity on the space-time diagram is represented by lines parallel to the ##x## axis.

Likes Pushoam
Pushoam said:
Please, explain me this.
Because all events on that line are simultaneous, not just those two. In fact, all pairs of events on any line parallel to that one are simultaneous.

Likes Pushoam
Possibly its confusing that the ##x'-##axis parallel to ##A_1' C_1'## in frame ##S'## is missing.

Likes Pushoam
timmdeeg said:
Possibly its confusing that the ##x'-##axis parallel to ##A_1' C_1'## in frame ##S'## is missing.

The next diagram in sequence [in the attachments] constructs the x'-axis.
I think the point of the complete passage is to construct the x'-axis for S', starting from "simultaneity according to S' ".

robphy said:
The next diagram in sequence [in the attachments] constructs the x'-axis.
Ah, which I'd overlooked, thanks.

Related to Exploring Simultaneity in Spacetime Diagrams - A.P. French, 1968

1. What is the significance of exploring simultaneity in spacetime diagrams?

The concept of simultaneity is crucial in understanding the fundamental principles of Einstein's theory of relativity. By exploring simultaneity in spacetime diagrams, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of how time and space are interconnected, and how they are perceived differently by observers in different frames of reference.

2. What are spacetime diagrams?

Spacetime diagrams are graphical representations of the relationship between time and space. They are often used in physics to illustrate the effects of time dilation and length contraction in special relativity.

3. How does the special theory of relativity challenge our understanding of simultaneity?

The special theory of relativity states that the perception of simultaneity is relative to an observer's frame of reference. This means that events that appear simultaneous to one observer may not appear simultaneous to another. This challenges the conventional understanding of simultaneity as an absolute concept.

4. What are some key concepts discussed in A.P. French's 1968 paper on exploring simultaneity in spacetime diagrams?

In the paper, French discusses the use of light signals and "light clocks" to measure time in different frames of reference. He also introduces the concept of "relativity of simultaneity" and explores its implications on our understanding of time and space.

5. How is the concept of simultaneity in spacetime diagrams applied in real-world scenarios?

The concept of simultaneity in spacetime diagrams has many practical applications, such as in the synchronization of clocks in different reference frames, GPS navigation systems, and the study of cosmic events such as supernovae and black holes. It also has implications in fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and particle physics.