Exploring Simple Harmonic Motion Equations: Damping vs. Driving Force

In summary, the conversation discusses different equations and solutions for displacement with and without damping, as well as a potential error in one of the equations. The correct solutions are provided and the person is encouraged to verify them.
imagemania
(This isn't homework)
I've been crating some notes, and noticed that we haven't been told one equation.
I know for:
[tex]\frac{d^2 x}{dt^2}[/tex] [tex] = \frac{-kx}{m} -\frac{b}{m} \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]
I know the displacement is:
[tex] x = A \omega e^{-bt/2m} cos(\omega t+ \phi) [/tex]

[Ie damping]

I know for:
[tex]\frac{d^2 x}{dt^2}[/tex] [tex] = \frac{-kx}{m} -\frac{b}{m} \frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{F}{m}[/tex]
I know the displacement for this is:
[tex] x = Asin(\omega t + \phi) [/tex] (omega is for driving force).

But what about:
[tex]\frac{d^2 x}{dt^2}[/tex] [tex] = \frac{-kx}{m} + \frac{F}{m}[/tex]
I.e. No damping, what would x be for this?

Thank you!

[This is out of pure interest]

Physics news on Phys.org
When [itex]\omega^2 \ne k/m[/itex], it makes no difference if b = 0, except that [itex]\phi[/itex] will always be 0 or [itex]\pi[/itex]

When [itex]\omega^2 = k/m[/itex] the solution is of the form

[tex]x = A t \cos (\omega t)[/tex]

In words, the response grows without limit, and it is 90 degrees out of phase with the applied force.

The solution for your second equation should have a b in it, but it does not appear. For the third equation use the second equation solution with b=0.

Gah first off i made a mistake on the first one, should have no omega next to A (demensions wouldn't equate)

Ok it would seem i have some equations written down wrong (well two).

[tex]\frac{d^2 x}{dt^2}[/tex] [tex] = \frac{-kx}{m} + \frac{F}{m}[/tex]
Would
[tex] x = Asin(\omega t + \phi) [/tex] (i.e. the cos shifts by pi/2 to make sine?)

And
[tex]\frac{d^2 x}{dt^2}[/tex] [tex] = \frac{-kx}{m} -\frac{b}{m} \frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{F}{m}[/tex]

[tex] x = A e^{-bt/2m} sin(\omega t + \phi) [/tex]

Let me know if these are right :)

Have you tried verifying them yourself. Simply plug your answers back into the equations.

Related to Exploring Simple Harmonic Motion Equations: Damping vs. Driving Force

What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and acts in the opposite direction. This results in a back and forth motion around an equilibrium point, known as the amplitude.

What are the characteristics of Simple Harmonic Motion?

There are three main characteristics of SHM:
1. Period: The time taken for one complete oscillation.
2. Frequency: The number of oscillations per unit time.
3. Amplitude: The maximum displacement from equilibrium.
These characteristics are related by the equation T = 1/f, where T is the period and f is the frequency.

What are some examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Some examples of SHM include:
1. Pendulum: The motion of a pendulum is an example of SHM, where the restoring force is provided by gravity.
2. Mass-spring system: A mass attached to a spring and oscillating back and forth is also an example of SHM.
3. Swinging door: When a door is pushed and released, it oscillates back and forth until it comes to rest, exhibiting SHM.

What is the difference between Simple Harmonic Motion and Damped Harmonic Motion?

The main difference between these two types of motion is the presence of a damping force. In SHM, there is no damping force and the amplitude remains constant over time. However, in damped harmonic motion, there is a damping force which causes the amplitude to decrease over time, eventually coming to rest.

How is Simple Harmonic Motion related to the concept of equilibrium?

In SHM, the equilibrium point is the point where the restoring force is equal to zero, and the object is at rest. As the object moves away from equilibrium, the restoring force increases and acts in the opposite direction, causing the object to return to equilibrium. This relationship between the restoring force and displacement is what defines SHM.