Exploring Shallow Water Waves: A-Level Experimentation

In summary, Matt is seeking help for his A-level experiment on shallow water waves and is looking for background scientific information. He has found some information on speed and frequency, but is still in need of more resources. Cookiemonster suggests the Korteweg-de Vries Equation and a website on ocean waves depth and velocity. Deimos thanks everyone for their help and has found a useful site to complete his coursework.
deimos
Hey, I need some help with finding information about shallow water waves. I am doing an A-level (i think that college level.. well its just below degree level) experiment compairing the velocity of a wave with its depth, and need some help finding background scientific information.
Everything i have seen so far as either been thesis material or speed=wavelength x frequency . So if anyone could help me i would be very greatful.

Thanks,
Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
Deimos, goodness knows I can't help you...but I am sure some of the brainy types will. I just wanted to thank you for the weird link, I am sure my son will love it!

P.S. I remember hearing something about solenils, or solenoids, or something like that, being a wave, like the kind kids make in the bathtub, that is a single, big wave, concerning velocity and depth. Good luck in your class.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Exploring Shallow Water Waves: A-Level Experimentation

1. What is the purpose of exploring shallow water waves?

The purpose of exploring shallow water waves is to understand the properties and behavior of these waves in a controlled environment. By conducting experiments, we can observe and measure factors such as wavelength, frequency, and amplitude, and how they are affected by variables such as water depth and wave speed. This knowledge can then be applied to real-world scenarios, such as predicting the behavior of waves in the ocean.

2. What equipment is needed for this experiment?

The equipment needed for exploring shallow water waves typically includes a wave tank, a wave generator, a ruler or meter stick, and materials to create different water depths (such as blocks or ramps). Optional equipment may include a stopwatch or timer, a protractor to measure angles, and a video camera to record the experiments.

3. How does water depth affect the speed and behavior of shallow water waves?

Water depth is a crucial factor in the behavior of shallow water waves. As the water depth decreases, the speed of the wave decreases and the wavelength decreases. This is because in shallower water, the bottom of the wave begins to touch the bottom of the tank, causing the wave to slow down and become steeper. Additionally, the speed and behavior of waves can also be affected by the shape of the tank and the materials used to create different water depths.

4. How can we measure the properties of shallow water waves?

The properties of shallow water waves can be measured using a variety of tools and techniques. For example, to measure wavelength, a ruler or meter stick can be used to measure the distance between two consecutive wave crests. Frequency can be measured by counting the number of waves that pass a certain point in a given amount of time. Amplitude can be measured by using a ruler to measure the height of the wave from its resting position to the crest.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding shallow water waves?

Understanding shallow water waves has many practical applications, such as in the design and construction of ports and harbors, coastal protection structures, and offshore structures like oil rigs and wind turbines. It can also be used in predicting and mitigating the effects of tsunamis and storm surges. In addition, understanding shallow water waves is important in recreational activities such as surfing and boating, as well as in marine biology and oceanography research.