Exploring Related Rates: Circles, Rectangles, and Spheres

In summary, the conversation discusses related rates problems involving the growth of a circle's radius and circumference, the additional length of rope needed to encircle the Earth for a 7-foot person to walk under, the relationship between the sides and diagonal of a rectangle, and the rate of change of a spherical balloon's radius. The group also clarifies some of the equations and data given in the problems.
courtrigrad
Hello all

Just had questions on related rates:

1. The radius of a circle is growing by [tex] \frac{dr}{dt} = 7 [/tex]. How fast is the circumference growing? Ok so [tex] C = 2\pi r [/tex] and [tex] \frac{dC}{dr} = 2\pi \frac{dr}{dt} = 2\pi(7) = 14\pi [/tex]

2. #1 has some amazing implications. Suppose you want to put a rope around the Earth that any 7-footer can walk under. If the distance is 24,000 miles, what is the additional length of rope? Do I just put [tex] C = 24,000 [/tex]? I am not sure if I understand what it is asking.

3. The sides of a rectangle increase in such a way that [tex] \frac{dz}{dt} = 3\frac{dy}{dt} [/tex] where z is the diagonal. At the instant when [tex] x = 4 y = 3 [/tex] what is the value of [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} [/tex]? So [tex] x^2 + y^2 = z^2 [/tex]. [tex] 2x\frac{dx}{dt} + 2y\frac{dy}{dt} = 2 [/tex] So then do I just substitute in the given values do get [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} [/tex]? How would I use the fact that [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = 3\frac{dy}{dt} [/tex]?

4. Air is being pumped into a spherical balloon at the rate of [tex] 5.5 [/tex] cubic inches per minute. Find the rate of change of the radius when the radius is 4 inches. Ok so I know that [tex] V = \frac{4}{3}\pi r^3 [/tex]. So [tex] \frac{dV}{dt} = 5.5 [/tex] So [tex] 5.5 = 4\pi (4)^{2} \frac{dr}{dt} [/tex]. I get [tex] \frac{5.5}{64\pi} [/tex] Is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First question is right. I don't understand the second question. Have you copied it word for word?

For the third question the equation should be
[tex] 2x\frac{dx}{dt} + 2y\frac{dy}{dt} = 2z\frac{dz}{dt} [/tex]

Your question is confusing... Is:
[tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{dz}{dt} = 3\frac{dy}{dt} [/tex]

In one part you've written dx/dt=3dy/dt... another part you've written dz/dt=3dy/dt.

Your last question is solved correctly,though you should have added the unit...

As for the second,the way i see it...You don't need too much data...

Daniel.

I copied it word for word. I am sorry. For #3 it should be: [tex]\frac{dz}{dt} = 3\frac{dy}{dt} [/tex]

Last edited:
courtrigrad said:
I copied it word for word. I am sorry. For #3 it should be: [tex]\frac{dz}{dt} = 3\frac{dy}{dt} [/tex]

That's ok.

For the second question, I guess that it's asking for the length of rope a 7ft can walk under around Earth - circumference of earth.

For the third question... I believe there's insufficient data to get an exact value for dx/dt. Double check the question, to see if there's more data.

Last edited:
for #3 we have The sides of a rectangle increase such that [tex] \frac{dz}{dt} = 1 [/tex] and [tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = 3\frac{dy}{dt} [/tex]. Find [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} [/tex] when [tex] x = 4, \ y = 3 [/tex]

I get: [tex] 2x\frac{dx}{dt} + 2y\frac{dy}{dt} = 2z\frac{dz}{dt} [/tex]. Substituting [tex] x,y,z [/tex] we get [tex] 8\frac{dx}{dt} + 6\frac{dy}{dt} = 10 [/tex] Substituting in [tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = 3\frac{dy}{dt} [/tex] I got [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = 1 [/tex] Is this correct?

Whoops

Last edited:
courtrigrad said:
I get: [tex] 2x\frac{dx}{dt} + 2y\frac{dy}{dt} = 2z\frac{dz}{dt} [/tex]. Substituting [tex] x,y,z [/tex] we get [tex] 8\frac{dx}{dt} + 6\frac{dy}{dt} = 10 [/tex] Substituting in [tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = 3\frac{dy}{dt} [/tex] I got [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = 1 [/tex] Is this correct?

Whoops

Looks good. :smile:

Related to Exploring Related Rates: Circles, Rectangles, and Spheres

What is a related rates solution?

A related rates solution is a mathematical technique used to find the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another related quantity. It involves finding the derivative of both quantities and setting them equal to each other to solve for the unknown rate of change.

How do I set up a related rates problem?

To set up a related rates problem, you first need to identify the quantities that are changing and how they are related. Then, you will need to find the equations that relate these quantities and take the derivative of both sides with respect to time. Finally, you will plug in the given values and solve for the unknown rate of change.

What are some common examples of related rates problems?

Some common examples of related rates problems include finding the rate at which the radius of a circle is changing when the area is known, determining the rate at which the water level in a cone-shaped tank is changing, and finding the speed of a shadow moving along a wall.

What are some tips for solving related rates problems?

Some tips for solving related rates problems include drawing a diagram to visualize the situation, labeling all known and unknown quantities, using proper units, and double-checking your answer to ensure it makes sense in the given context.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates problems include taking the derivative incorrectly, using the wrong units, not considering all relevant quantities, and making algebraic errors. It is important to carefully set up the problem and check your work to avoid these mistakes.