Exploring Problem 7.7: Frictionless Metal Bar on Conducting Rails

In summary, the conversation covers various topics such as current, magnetic fields, and the Biot-Savart law. The main question being discussed is how to find the magnetic force on a stationary wire carrying current and the role of current density in this problem. The conversation also mentions the use of the Biot-Savart law to calculate magnetic fields and the different forms for surface and volume currents. The participants also touch on the intuition and understanding needed to solve these types of physics problems.
mathnerd15
I'm not taking this course for credit...

Hi! Is this a good text after Halliday?
I'm trying problem 7.7-
a metal bar of mass m slides frictionlessly on 2 conducting rails...
perhaps the current is I=integral J dot da, generated by the moving metal bar, velocity v (results in changing reference frame and B field which results in EMF driving current vertically up through the wire?) is the force diagram similar to 7.11?
I'm unclear on the geometry of the force digram?

thanks very much

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm curious at what point does a great physicist have the intuition for these problems- is it something that you are born with?

Do you know how to find the magnetic force on a stationary wire that is carrying current?
I wouldn't think about current density in a problem like this; it is intuitive to me that the total current through the bar is what matters for the force, regardless of the cross sectional distribution of current density.

Biot-Savart law

thanks very much!
Isn't that the beautiful Biot-Savart law where muo is the permeability of free space? uo=4pi*10^-7N/A^2)
(muo/4pi)Integral[ (I X r )dl'/r^2 ]

there is the interesting situation of the Infinite Wire- theta1=-pi/2, theta2=pi/2B= muoI/(2pi s)
and as you know there is a form for surface and volume currents
I'm just starting to look at these...

Last edited:
for the question! I am always happy to discuss and explore interesting problems like this one.

First of all, it's great that you are tackling problem 7.7 and thinking about the application of concepts from Halliday's text. This problem involves a metal bar sliding on conducting rails, which is a classic example of electromagnetic induction. In this case, the movement of the metal bar generates a changing magnetic flux, which in turn induces an electromotive force (EMF) and drives a current through the wire.

To understand the force diagram, it may be helpful to consider the geometry of the problem. The metal bar is sliding on two conducting rails, which are connected at one end to a battery. This creates a closed loop circuit, with the metal bar acting as a moving conductor. As the metal bar slides, it experiences a Lorentz force due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the current flowing through the wire.

The force diagram for this problem would be similar to problem 7.11, which also involves a moving conductor in a magnetic field. However, in this case, the force acting on the metal bar would be perpendicular to both the direction of motion and the magnetic field. This can be determined using the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of motion and the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, resulting in a force perpendicular to both.

I hope this helps clarify the problem and the force diagram for you. Keep exploring and asking questions, that's what science is all about!

Related to Exploring Problem 7.7: Frictionless Metal Bar on Conducting Rails

1. What is the purpose of exploring Problem 7.7: Frictionless Metal Bar on Conducting Rails?

The purpose of exploring this problem is to understand the behavior of a metal bar on conducting rails when there is no friction involved. This problem helps us to better understand the concept of motion in a frictionless environment and how it affects the movement of objects.

2. What are the main components of this problem?

The main components of this problem are the metal bar, the conducting rails, and the absence of friction. The metal bar is the object that is being studied, the conducting rails provide a smooth surface for the bar to move on, and the absence of friction allows the bar to move without any resistance.

3. How is the motion of the metal bar affected by the conducting rails?

The conducting rails provide a smooth surface for the metal bar to move on without any friction. This means that the motion of the bar will be consistent and not affected by any external forces such as friction. The bar will continue to move until it reaches the end of the rails or encounters another force.

4. What are some real-life applications of this problem?

This problem can be applied to various real-life situations, such as the movement of a bullet in a gun barrel, the motion of a rollercoaster on a track, or the motion of a spacecraft in a frictionless environment. Understanding this problem can also help engineers design more efficient and smooth-moving systems.

5. How does the absence of friction affect the energy of the system?

In a frictionless environment, the energy of the system remains constant. This is because there is no loss of energy due to friction. Any potential energy of the system is converted into kinetic energy, and this energy is conserved as the bar travels along the conducting rails. This concept is known as the conservation of energy.