Exploring Probability Spheres in Fractional Dimension

In summary, a sphere of fractional dimension s is defined as a probability sphere with a probability of s for an electron to be found at a certain position. The volume of this sphere is given by Vol(S^{n-1}) = (2\Pi^{n/2})/(\Gamma(n/2)) and can be applied to non-integer values of n. There is a formula for the area measure of the unit S^{n-1} sphere, which is given by Vol(S^{n-1}) = [2\pi^{(n-1)/2}]/[\Gamma((n-1)/2+1)], and is proven using induction. The physical aspect and possible relation to Quantum Mechanics is still being explored
bchui
I have heard of such idea:

A sphere of fractional dimension 0<s<1 is understood as a probability sphere with probability s to have an electron at a certain position

for example the volume of the sphere S^{n-1} in \Re^n has volume

Vol(S^{n-1})= (2\Pi^{n/2})/(\Gamma(n/2)

and we can apply the result to non-integer values of n

Anyone have heard of this idea and show me the link for further information? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I have been searching for the same thing, and a few places say that it is given by:

\Gamma^2(1/2)/\Gamma(n/2)

for any dimension, even fractional ones, but I am trying to find a way to prove it myself, perhaps using integration with respect to the Hausdorff measure (since it recognizes non-integer dimensions). And just a note- the formula you gave is actually the area measure of the unit S^{n-1} sphere, the volume of the unit S^{n-1} sphere is actually:

Vol(S^{n-1})=[2\pi^{(n-1)/2}]/[\Gamma((n-1)/2+1)],

**Note that the denominator can be rewritten {(n-1)/2}\Gamma((n-1)/2)}.

The proof for integer [tex]n[/tex] is simple and done by induction. It could be found for example in

Chapter 5.9 of W Fleming: "Functions of Several Variables", Springer-
Verlag 1977

We generalize [tex]n![/tex] to [tex]\Gamma(n+1)[/tex] and the formula is obtained.
My problem is the physical aspect. What is the physical mean of a "fractional sphere" and could it possibly be related to "probability sphere" in Quantum Mechanics?

Related to Exploring Probability Spheres in Fractional Dimension

What is the concept of exploring probability spheres in fractional dimension?

The concept of exploring probability spheres in fractional dimension involves studying the behavior of probability in spaces with non-integer dimensions. This allows for a more nuanced understanding of probability and its applications in various fields such as physics, statistics, and finance.

How is fractional dimension defined?

Fractional dimension, also known as fractal dimension, is a measure of the complexity or irregularity of a geometric object. It is a non-integer value between 0 and 3, where 0 represents a point, 1 represents a line, 2 represents a plane, and 3 represents a solid object.

What are probability spheres?

Probability spheres are mathematical constructs used to represent the likelihood of an event occurring in a specific space or region. They are often used in conjunction with the concept of fractional dimension to explore the behavior of probability in complex and irregular spaces.

What is the significance of exploring probability spheres in fractional dimension?

Exploring probability spheres in fractional dimension allows for a deeper understanding of the behavior of probability in complex systems, which may have applications in fields such as chaos theory, cosmology, and artificial intelligence. It also allows for the development of more accurate and precise models for predicting and analyzing probabilistic events.

What are some real-world applications of exploring probability spheres in fractional dimension?

Some real-world applications of exploring probability spheres in fractional dimension include studying the behavior of financial markets, analyzing the spread of diseases in a population, and understanding the dynamics of natural phenomena such as weather patterns and earthquakes.