Exploring Power Sets and Cartesian Products: Explaining the Answers

In summary: The question is definitely more appropriate in the mathematics section, but since it is from a textbook for the theory of computation, it can be argued that it is related to computer science. So, it's fine to post it here.
RyozKidz

Homework Statement

(1)If C is a set with c elements , how many elements are in the power set of C ? explain your answer.
(2)If A has a elements and B has b elements , how many elements are in A x B ? explain your answer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(1)The answer is 2 to the power of c / 2^c ..~ but how am i going to explain ?
(2)The answer is a*b elements . but still don't even know how to explain ..~

sorry for the stupid question ..~ but i really curious want to know how to explain it ..~

Physics news on Phys.org
The second one is straightforward counting.
How many combinations are there, with one element from A and one element from B? It's like asking: if I have 10 boys and 8 girls, how many combinations of a boy and a girl are there? Well, for each boy I pick there are 8.

For the first one, there is an argument which I find rather nice myself. An element from the power set is a subset of C. So suppose that we can order the element of C in some way (we have a bijection to (a subset of) natural numbers, which we can use). Now I can encode a subset of C, by writing down a 0 or 1 in the nth place, depending on whether the nth element of C is in my subset. So for example, if C = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} then I would encode {1, 3, 5} by 10101, {1, 2} by 11000 and {1, 4, 5} by 10011. You can check that this encodes every subset of C uniquely, and that every combination of c zeroes and ones encodes a subset (even 00...0). Now all you have to do is read this as a binary number in c bits, how many of these are there?

o..~ nice explanation ..~ so the nth element is 11111 ..? from 00000 to 11111 ??
can u explain about this line ?
You can check that this encodes every subset of C uniquely, and that every combination of c zeroes and ones encodes a subset (even 00...0)...
Im not quite sure what it is trying to convey ?

What Compuchip is saying for his example is that every subset of C is paired to a unique 5-digit binary number, and every 5-digit binary number represents a unique subset of C. If an element of C is not present in the subset, there is a 0 in some position of the number. If an element of C is present in the subset, there is a 1 in the same position. The number 00000 represents the subset of C with no elements -- the empty set -- a subset that is present in all sets.

BTW, this question should have gone into one of the mathematics sections, either Precalculus or Calculus and Beyond.

I really don't know where to post it..~ due to this question is found in my INTRODUCTION TO THE THEORY OF COMPUTATION ..~ so i assume it is under this section..

Related to Exploring Power Sets and Cartesian Products: Explaining the Answers

1. What is a power set?

A power set is a set that contains all of the possible subsets of a given set. For example, if a set contains the elements {1, 2}, its power set would contain the subsets {}, {1}, {2}, and {1, 2}.

2. How do you find the power set of a set?

To find the power set of a set, you can use a mathematical formula: for a set with n elements, the power set will contain 2^n elements. Alternatively, you can list out all the possible subsets manually, making sure to include the empty set and the original set itself.

3. What is a Cartesian product?

A Cartesian product is a mathematical operation that takes two sets and creates a new set containing all possible ordered pairs of elements from the original sets. For example, if set A = {1, 2} and set B = {3, 4}, their Cartesian product would be {(1,3), (1,4), (2,3), (2,4)}.

4. How do you find the Cartesian product of two sets?

To find the Cartesian product of two sets, you can list out all possible ordered pairs by combining each element from the first set with each element from the second set. Alternatively, you can use a formula: for sets A and B with m and n elements respectively, their Cartesian product will have m x n elements.

5. What is the relationship between power sets and Cartesian products?

The power set of a set A is related to the Cartesian product of A with itself. Specifically, the power set of A is the Cartesian product of A with itself n times, where n is the number of elements in A. In other words, the number of elements in the power set of A is equal to 2^n, which is the same as the number of elements in the Cartesian product of A with itself n times.