Exploring Physics: A Course Overview

In summary, the person taking this physics course is struggling with the material and is looking for help. There are three quizzes a week, and the person is encouraged to do homework problems.
Maxwell
Hey everyone..

This semester I am taking my first physics course. Though I have been very interested in various topics in physics, I've never taken a proper course.

What can I expect from it? I'm not really sure how physics is taught in courses..

It is general calculus based physics course (2 semesters long).

Are there any things I should know?

What is the usual ciriculum like?

The textbook we are using is "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway Jewett.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Maxwell
What can I expect from it? ... Are there any things I should know? What is the usual ciriculum like?

You can expect to start with kinematics. That means you'll learn all about velocity and acceleration etc. Then you'll move onto dynamics which means you'll start using the laws of physics using what you learned in dynamics. Then you'll learn what energy is and how it is used. You''ll then get into things like momentum and angluar momentum and torque, harmonic motion, pendulums etc. The idea is to get to know the subject as well as you can so that you can help others study and perhaps do some tutoring. Then you'll have the opportunity to help the young ladies and that's always good - especially when they feel appreciative. :wink:

Decide right now that you will love the math. Get a thrill out of solving the calculs problems. Brag to your friends that one problem took three pages to answer. Stop thinking about the parties that you are not going to.

Originally posted by Chi Meson
Decide right now that you will love the math. Get a thrill out of solving the calculs problems. Brag to your friends that one problem took three pages to answer. Stop thinking about the parties that you are not going to.

... and when you do go to those parties when you find the time never talk about math and/or physics unless explicitly asked or someone else brings it up. :-)

Let's say that's something I've learned from experience. :smile:

Ok, so we've gone through the first lecture, 2 discussions, and the labs will start next week.

We had a problem set due today, and I went over it with my friends.

I did not grasp most of it...

It just seems like all of the problems are 100% different and that there is no pattern in them. :frown: I mean, of course there has to be some connections, but I just don't see how people can label a certain problem as "this type of problem".

I am really willing to work at this, and want to get very good at it. But my start seems so shaky..

There will be 3 quizzes a week, starting next Tuesday.

We have not even done any physics yet (we just went over measurement and some background), so I'm not sure how we have so many problems to do.. Tomorrow is my second lecture.

Can anyone please help me with "classiying" problems?

Thank you.

Originally posted by Maxwell

It just seems like all of the problems are 100% different and that there is no pattern in them.
I'm not sure what you mean by a "pattern in them." Do you mean that each problem is very different from each of the other problems? Try listing a few of them here to give us an idea of what you're talking about.

It would be wise of you to try doing a lot of homework problems. Even if you have to find another text to find them out of.

Pmb

Related to Exploring Physics: A Course Overview

What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world and how objects behave and interact with each other.

Why is it important to study physics?

Physics is essential in understanding the world around us and how it works. It helps us make sense of everyday phenomena, from the movement of objects to the behavior of atoms and particles. Additionally, many technological advancements and innovations are based on principles of physics, making it crucial for modern society.

What topics does "Exploring Physics: A Course Overview" cover?

This course overview covers a wide range of topics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics. It provides a broad overview of the fundamental principles and concepts of physics, as well as their applications in real-world situations.

Do I need a strong math background to understand physics?

While a strong foundation in mathematics can be helpful, it is not necessary to have an advanced math background to understand physics. Basic algebra and trigonometry are typically sufficient for introductory physics courses. However, as you progress to more advanced topics, a solid understanding of calculus becomes important.

What career opportunities are available for those who study physics?

Studying physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities, both within and outside of the field. Many physicists work in research and development, using their knowledge to solve complex problems and develop new technologies. Others pursue careers in education, finance, engineering, and healthcare. Physics also provides a strong foundation for graduate studies in fields such as engineering, medicine, and astronomy.