Exploring Photons in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of photons in quantum mechanics and the uncertainty principle. It is noted that a photon's momentum, rather than its velocity, is affected by uncertainty. The conversation also touches on the double slit experiment and the quantum behavior of photons. It is concluded that photons have well-understood and predictable rules, but their position and momentum cannot be known simultaneously. The possibility of photons going slower than the speed of light is also discussed.
jack47
I was just thinking how photons fit into QM, I've heard people speak of "photon wavefunctions".

In particular I am wondering whether its bound by the Uncertainty priciple, I guess it can't be... since we know its exact velocity (i.e delta(x) = 0, at least in a 1-d case =P) how could we know its position?

Physics news on Phys.org
Exactly. Where along a beam of light, is an individual photon? You don't know; you can't know; it's uncertain.

The photon is a full-fledged quantum particle, uncertainty and all.

If we don't know its position then what is it we observe? Naturally it takes a certain amount of time for some light to travel from point a to point b. Can't we place a limit on its path or general area (somewhere between a and b, thus finite area).

Does this help to explain the young's double slit experiment at all?

Sorry if these questions sound silly. I'm just a 2nd year electrical/computer engineering student with lots of questions and few answers :D

Actually, the speed of a photon is not THAT well defined in QM as it is SR and GR. In QED photons have a finite possibility to go slower or faster than c - on short distances.

I thought a causality condition is imposed in QFT, which makes FTL propagation impossible for real photons.

jack47 said:
I was just thinking how photons fit into QM, I've heard people speak of "photon wavefunctions".

In particular I am wondering whether its bound by the Uncertainty priciple, I guess it can't be... since we know its exact velocity (i.e delta(x) = 0, at least in a 1-d case =P) how could we know its position?

The uncertainty principle contains a momentum term, not a velocity term. A photon's momentum is E/c.

Goalie_Ca said:
If we don't know its position then what is it we observe?
Interactions.

If you do the double slit experiment, for instance, with just one photon at a time (that is, an extremely low intensity for which you would notice the time between the appearance of spots), then do the spots show up on the screen with a uniform frequency, or do they show up erratically?

What are you talking about!

Photons have quantum behavior, yes... But it is definitely impossible to talk about the position of a photon, as its movement, due it behaving like quantum, is completley random!

turin said:
If you do the double slit experiment, for instance, with just one photon at a time (that is, an extremely low intensity for which you would notice the time between the appearance of spots), then do the spots show up on the screen with a uniform frequency, or do they show up erratically?

They will form interference pattern anyway, unless you try to locate these photons during their journey to the target. As long as you don't interfere with the process they "pass through both slits" and they interfere with themselves

Dina-Moe Hum said:
They will form interference pattern anyway, unless you try to locate these photons during their journey to the target. As long as you don't interfere with the process they "pass through both slits" and they interfere with themselves
Sorry, perhaps I was unclear. The (reworded) question is:

Do they have a reqular occurance (let's say one blip every second, give or take only a few milliseconds), or do they occur erratically (like one a few milliseconds after the previous, and then maybe two or three seconds until the next one, and then half a second until the next one, and then one second, and then a hundred milliseconds, etc.. All of these dead times may average out to one second, but there is a high degree of uncertainty that the next blip will occur within some window of time)?

I'm asking about a temporal measure, not a spatial measure.

I have never done the double slit experiment with such a low intensity or sensitive detector. I would like to here from someone who has. Judging from the silence, I suppose I'll have to go look up a paper or something.

Last edited:
Magg$ said:
Photons have quantum behavior, yes... But it is definitely impossible to talk about the position of a photon, as its movement, due it behaving like quantum, is completley random!
No, it's not random. Photons move according to well-understood and very predictable, though probabilistic, rules.

- Warren

a single photon can pass through both slits at the same time. even more mysterious is that a single electron can too!

swansont was right, it is impossible to know the position and momentum(not velocity) at the same time. In classical physics this can be simplified by the formula p=mv to say that you can't know the position and velocity at the same time. For the photon you can't use the formula p=mv(which is of course not lorentz invariant). However you can say that it is impossible to know the photons position and wavelength at the same time.

Don't forget that the two transverse degrees of freedom and the longitudinal degree of freedom are independent and uncertainty applies to all of them.

techwonder said:
Actually, the speed of a photon is not THAT well defined in QM as it is SR and GR. In QED photons have a finite possibility to go slower or faster than c - on short distances.

If a photon did go slower than c, then what would happen to it?

selfadjoint said:
Exactly. Where along a beam of light, is an individual photon? You don't know; you can't know; it's uncertain.

The photon is a full-fledged quantum particle, uncertainty and all.

Have you heard of a light clock? A single photon is reflected and directed on various paths and the time it takes for it to finish the path is equal to one second, I believe. Isn't its position then able to be determined when it reaches the end of its path at the end of one second?

Imparcticle said:
If a photon did go slower than c, then what would happen to it?

Have you heard of a light clock? A single photon is reflected and directed on various paths and the time it takes for it to finish the path is equal to one second, I believe. Isn't its position then able to be determined when it reaches the end of its path at the end of one second?

The light clock in relativity doesn't refer to photons at all (though some presentations of it may unwisely use photon language). A simple classical beam will do the job. Think of it as a wave front rather than a photon.

Related to Exploring Photons in Quantum Mechanics

1. What is the role of photons in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, photons are the fundamental units of light and electromagnetic radiation. They are responsible for carrying energy and interacting with matter, making them essential for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. How are photons described in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, photons are described as particles that have both wave-like and particle-like properties. They can exist in a superposition of states and can also exhibit phenomena such as interference and entanglement.

3. How do photons behave differently in quantum mechanics compared to classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, photons are treated as particles with defined positions and trajectories. However, in quantum mechanics, photons are described by probability distributions and do not have definite positions or trajectories. They can also exhibit wave-like behavior, such as interference, which is not possible in classical mechanics.

4. How are photons used in practical applications of quantum mechanics?

Photons have various practical applications in quantum mechanics, including in quantum computing, cryptography, and communication. They are also used in technologies such as lasers, solar cells, and LED lights.

5. What are some current research areas focused on exploring photons in quantum mechanics?

Some current research areas in quantum mechanics that involve the study of photons include quantum entanglement, quantum teleportation, and quantum information processing. Scientists are also working on improving the efficiency and precision of using photons in quantum technologies.