Exploring PF Forum: Science, Technology, and Environment FAQs

• Thread starter Secruoser
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation on the PF Community forum discusses the trustworthiness of information, finding information on science and technology related to Earth's resources and sustainability, copyright rules for quoting forum posts outside the forum, and recommendations for trusted websites. The moderators are compared to super hero mods and one member jokingly refers to them as gods.
Secruoser
Hi PF Community,

I'm new to this forum and would like to ask a couple of questions before exploring the forum if you don't mind:

1) How well can I trust the information in this forum regarding scientific researches? Do the moderators keep an eye for false/unproven theories and delete them on spot? Is the information in the forum valid enough for me to quote in a scientific argument outside this forum?

2) Which part of the forum can I find information of science and technology related to Earth's resources and sustainability? For example, I'm not interested in things like Quantum Physics...

3) Since the 'rules' stated that copyrighted materials are not to be posted in the forum, does this mean I can quote any part of the forum outside the forum, for example in my blog?

4) Can you recommend me some of the trusted websites which have applicable science and latest technology news which are relevant to environment?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Secruoser said:
1) How well can I trust the information in this forum regarding scientific researches?
We're not a peer reviewed journal, however we are in all likelihood the most reliable source of scientific discussion of this format on the 'net. Because:
Do the moderators keep an eye for false/unproven theories and delete them on spot? Is the information in the forum valid enough for me to quote in a scientific argument outside this forum?
Yes to the first, though the second is a little dependent on what contexe you are referring to. Though we have quite a sizeable staff and put a lot of effort into moderation, we can't be everywhere at once and aren't perfect. Remember: the forum has thousands of members and we don't ask for/check resume's for our members (doing so would go against our primary purpose: education). So whether you can cite us depends on the quality you need and forum you are looking to use us in.
2) Which part of the forum can I find information of science and technology related to Earth's resources and sustainability? For example, I'm not interested in things like Quantum Physics...
That is a broad subject, so you'll have to be more specific. For example:

-If you're interested in solar power, try the Electrical Engineering forum.
-If you're interested in clean energy, try the Nuclear Engineering forum.
-If you're interested in general energy policy, try the general engineering forum.
-If you're interested in sustainable agriculture, try the biology forum.
-If you're interested in Earth's resources themselves, try the Earth Sciences forum.
3) Since the 'rules' stated that copyrighted materials are not to be posted in the forum, does this mean I can quote any part of the forum outside the forum, for example in my blog?
I'm actually not sure about this one... just recognize that you're probably not going to get a whole lot of traction using non-published sources.
4) Can you recommend me some of the trusted websites which have applicable science and latest technology news which are relevant to environment?
Probably, but again, the request is extremely broad.

Secruoser said:
Hi PF Community,

I'm new to this forum and would like to ask a couple of questions before exploring the forum if you don't mind:

1) How well can I trust the information in this forum regarding scientific researches? Do the moderators keep an eye for false/unproven theories and delete them on spot? Is the information in the forum valid enough for me to quote in a scientific argument outside this forum?
We try to weed out as much nonsense as possible, but there is never any guarantee that everything you read is 100% valid. The best rule of thumb is to look for posts by someone that has a Science Advisor medal, and if you have questions, you can ask to be referred to mainstream research on the subject.

This is, after all, a Physics forum. We do not have any experts in Earth's resources and sustainability, so I would suggest that you look elsewhere for research on these subjects by experts in those fields.

I would be careful doing so, you have no idea if the information is accurate.

No, we have no such list as we do not promote or monitor other websites.

Thank you Russ for the prompt reply. So a PF MENTOR is like a 'mod' in this forum? I'll be sure to check out the sections you have recommended.

Secruoser said:
So a PF MENTOR is like a 'mod' in this forum?

A super hero mod. Like if Wonder Women or Batman were awesome at science :D

Batman is awesome in science.

Greg Bernhardt said:

So if we're super heroes, then you and chroot must be gods. Or at least the equivalent of Stan Lee. :biggrin:

jtbell said:
So if we're super heroes, then you and chroot must be gods. Or at least the equivalent of Stan Lee. :biggrin:

In Batman I'd be Alfred :D

Greg Bernhardt said:

Then you must be a suicidal God to make such a comment!:devil:

Related to Exploring PF Forum: Science, Technology, and Environment FAQs

1. What topics are covered in the PF Forum: Science, Technology, and Environment section?

The PF Forum: Science, Technology, and Environment section covers a wide range of topics related to science, technology, and the environment. Some common topics include discussions on current scientific research, advances in technology, and environmental issues such as climate change and conservation.

2. Who can participate in discussions on the PF Forum: Science, Technology, and Environment section?

Anyone with an interest in science, technology, and the environment is welcome to participate in discussions on the PF Forum. This includes scientists, students, educators, and members of the general public who are curious about these topics.

3. Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in discussions on the PF Forum: Science, Technology, and Environment section?

Yes, the PF Forum has a set of community guidelines that all members are expected to follow. This includes being respectful and courteous to others, avoiding personal attacks, and staying on topic. You can find the full guidelines on the PF Forum website.

4. Can I share my own scientific research or ideas on the PF Forum: Science, Technology, and Environment section?

Yes, the PF Forum encourages members to share their own scientific research and ideas with the community. However, it is important to note that the PF Forum is not a peer-reviewed platform, so any information shared should not be taken as scientific fact without proper verification.

5. How can I stay updated on the latest discussions and topics in the PF Forum: Science, Technology, and Environment section?

The PF Forum has a notification system that allows members to receive updates on new discussions and topics in their areas of interest. You can also regularly check the PF Forum website for new posts and discussions or follow the PF Forum on social media for updates.