Exploring Perspective in a 4D Universe: The Role of Eyes in Depth Perception

In summary, it seems like a 4D being would need at least two eyes to see in 4D, but it's possible that they would only need one.
pierce15
Hello,

This might be a bit of a stupid question, but if there were a universe of 4 spatial dimensions and photons behaved in the same way as in ours, would a 4D "hyper-alien" be able to see 4D perspective with only 2 hypershpherical eyes, or would it require more?

In case my question isn't clear, people who are born blind in one eye are not able to see 3D perspective- everything they see looks like a 2D picture. Having 2 eyes enables a human to judge depth. The name for this is stereopsis.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think it would be 4?

piercebeatz said:
Why do you think it would be 4?

we use one pair to see depth in the z dimension and one pair to see depth in the 4th dimension.

Its my guess but I am sure a mathematician could provide a better answer with reasoning to support it.

I can't help wondering how many pairs of glasses one would need to wear to watch one of their movies.

Danger said:
I can't help wondering how many pairs of glasses one would need to wear to watch one of their movies.

I don't think it would matter extropolating from our latest batch 3D movies I'd say no one would want to see it.

To my understanding a 4d being would have a 4d eye that is capable of seeing the world as a 3d image similar to how we see the world as a 2d image projected onto our retina. In such a case I would expect those beings to need only 2 eyes to get a perception of depth. However, I base this on nothing but personal intuition which is about as reliable as...uh, something that's not reliable.

Drakkith said:
To my understanding a 4d being would have a 4d eye that is capable of seeing the world as a 3d image similar to how we see the world as a 2d image projected onto our retina. In such a case I would expect those beings to need only 2 eyes to get a perception of depth. However, I base this on nothing but personal intuition which is about as reliable as...uh, something that's not reliable.

I thought of that answer too but couldn't come up with the mechanics of how a 3D eye might work. I figured people would see via photons and thus you'd need receptors to convert the photons to signals for the brain.

To accomplish a 3D eye, the receptors would have to be arrayed in a 3D structure but then they would interfere with one another making image resolution difficult.

But then again maybe they wouldn't interfere. I recall the example of a knot. Knots can only exist in three dimensions and not four.

Anyway, I can't quite think of the right analogy to analyze this problem.

When you look at a cube drawn in a 2D surface, you can see a projection of the third dimension, but no the whole third dimension. When you look at a moving hypercube in the third dimension, you are seeing a projection of the fourth dimension.

Related to Exploring Perspective in a 4D Universe: The Role of Eyes in Depth Perception

What is 4D perspective?

4D perspective refers to the way objects and space are perceived in four-dimensional space. This concept goes beyond our standard three dimensions of length, width, and height, and adds the dimension of time.

How is 4D perspective different from 3D perspective?

4D perspective is different from 3D perspective because it includes the dimension of time. This means that objects in 4D space can change and move in ways that are not possible in 3D space. It also allows for a more comprehensive understanding of motion and events.

Can humans perceive 4D perspective?

While humans are limited to perceiving three dimensions, it is possible to conceptualize and represent 4D perspective through mathematical models and visual aids. However, we are not able to experience 4D space in the same way that we experience 3D space.

How is 4D perspective used in science?

4D perspective is used in various scientific fields, such as physics, mathematics, and computer science. It helps scientists better understand and model complex systems and phenomena, such as the behavior of particles and the evolution of the universe.

Are there any practical applications of 4D perspective?

Yes, there are practical applications of 4D perspective in fields such as engineering, animation, and virtual reality. For example, 4D models can be used to simulate and predict the behavior of structures under different conditions or to create more realistic and immersive visual experiences.