Exploring Our Timeline: 13 Billion Years Ago and Now

• Thread starter Steve K
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Years
In summary: If you are interested in Webb there is a thread that started in anticipation of the launch and followed journey to today.
Steve K
The Webb Telescope is finding images from the early beginnings of our universe, indeed from nearly 13 billion years ago. That is fascinating, but, what is happening right at this moment in our timeline, in those locations giving astronomers 13 billion year old information? I ask, because the locations exist right now, and I would assume are completely different now, than the images we see. We can only see what the speed of light let's us. I suppose there is no way to know without finding a way to time travel.

Physics news on Phys.org
Steve K said:
The Webb Telescope is finding images from the early beginnings of our universe, indeed from nearly 13 billion years ago. That is fascinating, but, what is happening right at this moment in our timeline, in those locations giving astronomers 13 billion year old information? I ask, because the locations exist right now, and I would assume are completely different now, than the images we see.
Correct
Steve K said:
We can only see what the speed of light let's us. I suppose there is no way to know without finding a way to time travel.
Oh, good. You've answered your own question.

phinds said:
Correct

Oh, good. You've answered your own question.
But that is the question of priority it seems. What is happenning right now, because, the space in the universe from 13 BYA exists. We will have to wait and see... but wouldn't it be astounding to know!

Steve K said:
But that is the question of priority it seems. What is happenning right now, because, the space in the universe from 13 BYA exists. We will have to wait and see... but wouldn't it be astounding to know!
Thank you, Phinds for your reply.

Steve K said:
but wouldn't it be astounding to know!
Not especially. There are at present far more galaxies that are available to us, in various stages of evolution than we have time / equipment to study. It is quite a reasonable assumption that the ones furthest out are evolving in the same way, so it is doubtful that we would learn much if anything by "seeing them now".

It's far more informative seeing them, as we do, "then" rather than magically seeing them "now".

Last edited:
Steve K said:
Thank you, Phinds for your reply.
If you are interested in Webb there is a thread that started in anticipation of the launch and followed journey to today.https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-james-webb-space-telescope.1010264/

There are also threads on age of the Universe and how they measure distant galaxies.
Everything regarding astrophysics and Cosmology in fact. Just use the magnifying glass top right to search.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

What is the timeline of the universe?

The timeline of the universe is estimated to be around 13.8 billion years. This is based on observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the oldest light in the universe.

How do scientists study the history of the universe?

Scientists study the history of the universe through various methods such as analyzing light from distant objects, studying the composition of elements in stars and galaxies, and observing the expansion of the universe.

What are some major events that occurred in the early universe?

Some major events that occurred in the early universe include the Big Bang, the formation of the first stars and galaxies, and the reionization of the universe.

What is the current state of the universe?

The current state of the universe is constantly expanding and cooling. The expansion is accelerating due to the presence of dark energy, and the universe is filled with galaxies, stars, and other celestial objects.

How does the timeline of the universe affect our understanding of the present?

Studying the timeline of the universe allows us to understand how the universe has evolved and how it has shaped the present. It also helps us to make predictions about the future of the universe and our place within it.