Exploring Newton & Aristotle's Views on Space in Modern Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of space as understood by Newton and Aristotle and whether it is relevant to modern physics. The question of whether space is an actual thing or a vacuum is raised, and the use of Newton's equations in modern science is mentioned. The conversation also delves into the philosophical question of the nature of space and its relationship to matter and energy. Ultimately, the question is deemed unanswerable and the thread is locked.
thinkandmull
I've been wondering if space as understood by Newton, as an actual thing that contains matter, is relevant to modern physics. Has Newton's idea been disregarded? Is Aristotle's view that there is no space-vacuum now accepted? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think without better defined terms, your question is unanswerable and we'll just go around and around and around in circles. For example, what is an "actual thing" and how does it differ from a plain old "thing"?

Are you thinking of Aether theories ?

Well think about it do you think space is full of matter or do you think it is a vacuum? then you have answered your own question =) Space is a vacuum but filled with the Higgs field and allot of em radiation. Along with solar winds and all the matter. Also even if Newton was wrong NASA still use his equations to work out gravitational forces and it works great so he did something right.

I believe what the OP is talking about is that certain philosophers think of space as being "seperate" from matter and energy. So in a completely empty universe, space would still exist. On the other hand, some believe that space is only a relationship between objects, so in a completely empty universe there would be no space (and probably no universe either).

Unfortunately there's no way to know either way, so this isn't a science question but a philosophical one. I'm going to lock the thread. Thinkandmull, if you meant something else, something which science can possibly observe, then please contact me and I'll re-open the thread.

Likes berkeman

Related to Exploring Newton & Aristotle's Views on Space in Modern Physics

1. What are the main differences between Newton and Aristotle's views on space?

Newton believed that space is absolute and exists independently of objects, while Aristotle believed that space is relative to the objects within it and does not exist on its own.

2. How did Newton's concept of space influence modern physics?

Newton's concept of absolute space and time laid the foundation for classical mechanics and became the basis for many laws and principles in modern physics.

3. What are some limitations of Newton's view of space?

One limitation is that it does not account for the curvature of space-time, which is a fundamental concept in Einstein's theory of general relativity. It also does not explain the nature of space itself, leaving questions about its properties unanswered.

4. How did Aristotle's view of space impact early scientific thought?

Aristotle's view of space as relative to objects influenced many early scientific theories, including Ptolemy's geocentric model of the universe. It also led to the rejection of the concept of empty space, as Aristotle believed that all space must be occupied by something.

5. How has our understanding of space evolved since the time of Newton and Aristotle?

Our understanding of space has evolved significantly, particularly with the development of Einstein's theories of relativity. We now see space as a dynamic, four-dimensional fabric that can be affected by the presence of matter and energy. Additionally, advancements in quantum mechanics have challenged traditional notions of space and opened up new avenues for exploration.