Exploring N-Dimensional Objects in Superstring Theories

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary: You just have to add an extra term for the D-brane.In summary, the building block of string theory is a one dimensional object, a string. Superstring theories attest that the building block is a one dimensional object, a string, now I wonder why stop there, why not two dimensional objects? N dimensional objects are called N-branes. Hm... I've read of p branes and d branes.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Superstring theories attest that the building block is a one dimensional object, a string, now I wonder why stop there, why not two dimensional objects?

Physics news on Phys.org
N dimensional objects are called N-branes.

How does it differ from d-branes, and how many types of branes are there?

I've read of p branes and d branes.

d branes are the ones discovered by Joe Polchinsky in the mid 1990's. I think I've read these are called Dirichlet branes

p branes are the type discovered by Ed Witten and strings I think are one dimensional versions of these...

Try this for an overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-branes

got to go...

P-branes are objects in supergravity and were studied first. They are described by a specific form of the spacetime metric and other background fields in the theory. You can consider them in string theories that have the supergravity theory as a low energy limit. D-branes are p-branes further adapted to the string framework. The "D" stands for "Dirichlet boundary conditions" for the string endpoints on the branes. The fluctuations of the D-branes are considered to be stringy excitations on the brane in contrast to sugra p-branes with (quantum) field fluctuations.

Bergshoeff, Sezgin and Townsend (Phys. Lett. 189B, 1986) first considered p-branes based on observations of Hughes, Liu and Polchinski (Phys Lett B180 1986).

Fundamental strings of string theory are a specific type of 1-brane, "electric", while magnetic 1-branes are solitonic solutions to a given theory. (This is a general thing: An electric 0,1,2,...-brane is not a true solution to a set of equations of motion; rather, they are objects coupling to a singular "solution" of the theory. On the other hand, magnetic branes are true solutions to the equations of motion.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Superstring theories attest that the building block is a one dimensional object, a string, now I wonder why stop there, why not two dimensional objects?

Those are the branes... Isn't it?

Look at the Lagrangian of Dp-branes, those are just the generalization of the Nambu-Goto action of the strings.

Related to Exploring N-Dimensional Objects in Superstring Theories

1. What are N-dimensional objects in superstring theories?

N-dimensional objects refer to the number of dimensions in a particular space. In superstring theories, these objects are considered to exist in multiple dimensions, beyond the three dimensions we experience in our everyday lives.

2. How are N-dimensional objects explored in superstring theories?

In superstring theories, N-dimensional objects are explored using mathematical equations and models. These models describe the behavior of these objects in multiple dimensions and help scientists understand their properties and interactions.

3. What is the significance of exploring N-dimensional objects in superstring theories?

Exploring N-dimensional objects in superstring theories is significant because it helps us understand the fundamental nature of our universe. These theories aim to unify all the forces in the universe and explain the behavior of particles at the smallest scales.

4. Are there any real-world applications of exploring N-dimensional objects in superstring theories?

Currently, there are no direct real-world applications of exploring N-dimensional objects in superstring theories. However, the research in this field has led to developments in other areas, such as quantum computing and advanced materials.

5. What are some challenges faced in exploring N-dimensional objects in superstring theories?

One of the main challenges in exploring N-dimensional objects in superstring theories is the lack of experimental evidence. These theories are still in the early stages of development, and it is difficult to test them with current technology. Additionally, the complex mathematical equations and concepts involved make it challenging for researchers to fully understand and explore these objects.