Exploring Models of the Big Bang Expansion

In summary: It can be difficult to comprehend because infinity and finite are relative terms. An infinite amount of something is still finite compared to something else.
Pjpic
What are the acceptable models to eplain how the big bang is expanding the space of our visible universe? Are these the choices? 1) An expanding infinity 2) local expansion with an area of non-expansion beyond our range of observation 3) local expansion with an an area of non expansion in some higher dimension 4) finite expansion without anything outside the area of expansion. Are the other choices?

Space news on Phys.org
I don't know any other possibilities, if I understand the alternatives you present. I personally like 1) and 4). They seem to be the two possibilities you have in the standard cosmological model (LambdaCDM)

Pjpic said:
What are the acceptable models to explain how the big bang is expanding the space of our visible universe? Are these the choices?

1) An expanding infinity
4) finite expansion without anything outside the area of expansion

Your option 1) would be the LCDM model with Omega=1. Which means spatially flat, and assuming no exotic complications, infinite spatial volume.
Your option 4) would be the LCDM with Omega > 1. A finite spatial volume like the 3D analog of the 2D surface of a balloon with noting inside or outside the 2D surface. An expanding finite volume without anything else---no other space of any dimensionality.

That doesn't cover before the big bang, where there might be a contracting region. but that is not what you were asking about. You were focusing on the expanding space directly connected with what we can see. I think your four possibilities cover all the pictures people have of that. Hope someone will correct me if I am forgetting about something.

Last edited:
They are not choices, merely nudges is the direction observational evidence steers the 'ship' of science. Theory is the term scientists prefer to predict the future course of the 'ship'.

I wonder if this is so difficult to comphrehend due to how infinite and finite are defined. Because, to a lay person; it doesn't seem like an "actual infinity" can be increased or that something finite would not have a boundry.

Related to Exploring Models of the Big Bang Expansion

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is a scientific model that explains the origins of the universe. It suggests that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has since expanded and cooled over the course of billions of years.

2. How does the Big Bang theory explain the expansion of the universe?

The Big Bang theory proposes that a massive explosion, called the Big Bang, occurred approximately 13.8 billion years ago, causing the universe to rapidly expand. This expansion continues today and is supported by evidence such as the redshift of light from distant galaxies.

3. What are some alternative models to the Big Bang theory?

Some alternative models to the Big Bang theory include the Steady State theory, which suggests that the universe has always existed in a constant state, and the Oscillating Universe theory, which proposes that the universe goes through cycles of expansion and contraction.

4. How do scientists study and test models of the Big Bang expansion?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study and test models of the Big Bang expansion, including observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, measurements of the abundance of light elements in the universe, and simulations using supercomputers.

5. What are some implications of the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory has several implications, including the age and size of the universe, the formation of galaxies and other structures, and the eventual fate of the universe. It also has connections to other areas of study such as particle physics and cosmology.