Exploring Metric of Uniform Gravitational Field: Is ds^2 Expression Correct?

In summary, the conversation discussed the equation for the metric of a uniform gravitational field and its relationship to time dilation and escape velocity. The participants questioned the applicability of the escape velocity/time dilation relationship to this particular metric and discussed the concept of constant acceleration and its effect on objects of rest mass. A correction was made to the equation for the proper acceleration and a link was provided for further discussion on the topic.
snoopies622
I just came across this expression

[tex]ds^2 = (1+gz/c^2)^2(cdt)^2 - dx^2 - dy^2 - dz^2[/tex]

in entry #19 of this thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=227753[/URL] for the metric of a uniform gravitational field. Is this correct? I was wondering because it yields

[tex]\frac{d\tau}{dt}=(1+\frac{gz}{c^2}) [/tex]

for a stationary clock, but if

[tex]\frac{d\tau}{dt}=\sqrt{1-\frac{v_{esc}^2}{c^2}}
[/tex]

between any two points of different gravitational potential, then we should get

[tex]\frac{d\tau}{dt}=\sqrt{1-\frac{2gz}{c^2}}[/tex]

instead. Here z=0 is the ceiling of the elevator/spaceship and z>0 as we move towards the floor, but even if we switch that around (so that z=0 is the floor and z>0 as we move towards the ceiling) it doesn't explain what happened to the "2" or the radical sign.

Can someone point out the flaw(s) in my reasoning? Is the escape velocity/time dilation relationship not applicable here? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
snoopies622 said:
Can someone point out the flaw(s) in my reasoning? Is the escape velocity/time dilation relationship not applicable here? Thanks.

I haven't had time to look at this, and I'm just going out the door for a walk with my wife and daughter, but I'll take a stab at it.

Are you using the escape velocity/time dilation relationship from the Schwarzschild metric? There is no reason for this relationship to hold for a metric that isn't the Schwarzschild metric metric.

If the relationship isn't from Schwarzschild, where is it from? How is it derived?

George Jones said:
..the escape velocity/time dilation relationship...where is it from?

If you take the potential difference between the edge of a rotating disk and its center and convert that into an 'escape velocity' you get the velocity of that point on the disk, which (I thought) gives you the time dilation via the SR equation (the Lorentz factor). Since it works for both this case and Schwarzschild (the relationship between escape velocity and time dilation) I thought it was universal.

Perhaps that was the flaw right there.

Last edited:
The metric you've quoted is a species of the Rindler spacetime, which is in constant acceleration. I'm not sure if the idea of escape velocity has meaning in this case.

There's a singularity at g00=0, so I suppose you could calculate the velocity of a particle that falls from infinity to the singularity.

Mentz114 said:
I'm not sure if the idea of escape velocity has meaning in this case.

By the 'escape velocity' between two points I just meant the vertical speed at which something at the lower point would have to be thrown so that the peak of its trajectory would be at or next to the higher point. So for example in a constant gravitational field with acceleration [tex]g[/tex], the 'escape velocity' between two points of height difference [tex]\Delta h[/tex] would be [tex]v_{esc}=\sqrt{2g \Delta h}[/tex]. I understand that this is not how the phrase is normally used (unless the upper height is [tex]\infty[/tex]) but I don't know what else to call it. Anyway, for a while I've believed that for any gravitational field, between any two different heights

[tex]\frac{d\tau}{dt}=\sqrt{1-\frac{v_{esc}^2}{c^2}}[/tex]

using the definition of [tex]v_{esc}[/tex] that I just gave, since this seems to be the case both with the Schwarzschild metric and a clock on a rotating disk. But if it's not true for the Rindler metric then I'll forget about it altogether.

A follow-up - if I may - regarding constant acceleration:

If a constant force is applied to an object of rest mass [tex]m_0[/tex], then

[tex]
\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{F}{m_0}\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}
[/tex].

Question: What function v(t) is a solution to this equation? Both arc tangent and hyperbolic tangent seem to have about the right shape, but unless there's a trig identity regarding arc tangent that I'm not aware of, neither of them work.

snoopies622 said:
A follow-up - if I may - regarding constant acceleration:

If a constant force is applied to an object of rest mass [tex]m_0[/tex], then

[tex]
\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{F}{m_0}\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}
[/tex].

Question: What function v(t) is a solution to this equation? Both arc tangent and hyperbolic tangent seem to have about the right shape, but unless there's a trig identity regarding arc tangent that I'm not aware of, neither of them work.
See this thread, in particular post #19 (and the links there to another thread) and post #22.

You will see that your equation is wrong, it should be [itex]\gamma^{-3}[/itex] rather than [itex]\gamma^{-1}[/itex]. [itex]F/m_0[/itex] is the proper acceleration, [itex]dv/dt[/itex] is the coordinate acceleration.

Thanks, DrGreg. I forgot about the effective-mass-being-different-in-different-directions business.

Related to Exploring Metric of Uniform Gravitational Field: Is ds^2 Expression Correct?

1. What is a metric of a uniform gravitational field?

A metric of a uniform gravitational field is a mathematical expression that describes the curvature of spacetime in the presence of a constant gravitational field. It is used in general relativity to calculate the distance between two points in a gravitational field.

2. How is ds^2 used in the metric expression for a uniform gravitational field?

ds^2 is a component of the metric expression that represents the spacetime interval between two points. It is used to calculate the distance between two points in a gravitational field, taking into account the effects of the field on the curvature of spacetime.

3. Is the ds^2 expression correct for all types of gravitational fields?

No, the ds^2 expression is specifically used for a uniform gravitational field, where the strength of the field is constant throughout space. For non-uniform fields, the expression may need to be modified to accurately describe the curvature of spacetime.

4. How is the metric of a uniform gravitational field related to the theory of general relativity?

The metric of a uniform gravitational field is a key component of the theory of general relativity, which describes the relationship between spacetime and the effects of gravity. It is used to calculate the curvature of spacetime in the presence of a gravitational field, as well as the motion of objects under the influence of gravity.

5. How can the metric of a uniform gravitational field be tested or verified?

The metric of a uniform gravitational field can be tested and verified through experiments and observations. For example, the bending of light around massive objects, such as stars, can be observed and compared to the predictions of the metric. Additionally, the motion of objects in a gravitational field can be measured and compared to the calculations based on the metric expression.