Exploring Malus's Law & Light Intensity in 3 Polarizers

In summary, the conversation discusses Malus's Law and the intensity of light passing through multiple polarizers. It is clarified that the third polarizer should be treated in the same manner as the first two, and the angle between the second and third polarizers is needed to apply Malus's law.
ronaldoshaky
Hello I am trying to understand Malus' Law and the Intensity of light. Let's say I have three polarizers. The first polarizer and the last polarizer have the same axis of polarization. The middle polarizer can be rotated to an angle [tex]\theta[/tex]

I know that Malus's Law for the intensity of light is I = I_0 cos^2 \theta for light coming out through the second polarizer. But how would I work out the intensity of light passing through the third filter. Should I multiply by [tex] cos^2 \theta[/tex] again, or should I treat the final two polarizers as just two polarizers?

Science news on Phys.org
Treat each polarizer in the same manner, applying Malus's law as needed. After the light exits the second polarizer, what is its axis of polarization? What's the angle between the second and third polarizers? That's the angle you'll need in applying Malus's law to the light passing that third polarizer.

Doc Al said:
Treat each polarizer in the same manner, applying Malus's law as needed. After the light exits the second polarizer, what is its axis of polarization? What's the angle between the second and third polarizers? That's the angle you'll need in applying Malus's law to the light passing that third polarizer.

Ah I see. Thanks

Related to Exploring Malus's Law & Light Intensity in 3 Polarizers

1. What is Malus's Law?

Malus's Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the intensity of light passing through a polarizer and the angle of polarized light.

2. How does Malus's Law relate to light intensity in 3 polarizers?

In the context of 3 polarizers, Malus's Law can be used to calculate the intensity of light after passing through multiple polarizers arranged at different angles.

3. What is the purpose of exploring Malus's Law & Light Intensity in 3 Polarizers?

The purpose of this exploration is to better understand the behavior of polarized light and how it can be manipulated using multiple polarizers. This can have practical applications in fields such as optics and telecommunications.

4. Can Malus's Law be applied to all types of light?

Yes, Malus's Law applies to all types of light, as long as it is polarized. This includes natural light, which can be polarized by reflecting off of certain surfaces, and artificial light that has been polarized using filters or other methods.

5. How can Malus's Law be experimentally verified?

To experimentally verify Malus's Law, one can use a light source, a polarizer, and a light intensity detector. By rotating the polarizer and measuring the intensity of light passing through it at different angles, one can plot a graph and compare it to the theoretical predictions of Malus's Law.