Exploring Magnetic Forces: Net Field Effects & "Spring" Constants

In summary, for information on the effects of magnetic fields on massive objects and the forces involved, "Magnetism: A Very Short Introduction" and online tutorials are good resources to consult.
kamikaze762
I've been digging around on the internet for information about magnets. I've found some interesting thing like the inverse square law of intensity, but I've noticed the Lorentz equations tend to deal mostly with charged particles.

I'm really looking for information about the net field's effect on massive objects, the forces exerted during repulsion of said objects, and any "spring" constant that might apply for entry and exit of these fields. Does anyone know a good resource for this?

One such example is magnet A enters the repelling field of magnet B, and then the normal force holding it there is suddenly released. How far will A travel given a mass of M if both fields exert a net force of F at surface distance of D.

A bit simplistic and not terribly useful, I know, but if anyone can shed some light on this I would be most appreciative.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A good resource to look into for this kind of information is the book "Magnetism: A Very Short Introduction" by Stephen Blundell. It provides a thorough overview of the basics of magnetism and how it works on both basic and more complex levels. Additionally, there are several online tutorials available that provide an in-depth explanation of the Lorentz force, as well as other equations related to magnetism.

I can offer some insight into your questions about magnetic forces and their effects on massive objects. The Lorentz equations do indeed deal primarily with charged particles, but they can also be applied to massive objects in the presence of a magnetic field.

Firstly, it is important to understand that the net magnetic field is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. This net field can have different effects on massive objects depending on their orientation and position relative to the field.

In terms of forces exerted during repulsion, the magnitude of the force will depend on the strength of the magnetic field and the distance between the objects. The direction of the force will be determined by the orientation of the objects' magnetic fields. This can be described by the right-hand rule, where the fingers of your right hand curl in the direction of the current and your thumb points in the direction of the force.

As for the "spring" constant, this can be related to the magnetic permeability of the materials involved. This constant describes the ability of a material to become magnetized in the presence of a magnetic field. Materials with higher permeability will experience a stronger force when placed in a magnetic field.

To calculate the distance traveled by object A in your example, we would need to know the specific values for the force, mass, and distance. We could then use Newton's second law (F=ma) to determine the acceleration of object A and use kinematic equations to calculate the distance traveled.

As for resources, I recommend looking into textbooks or research papers on electromagnetism and magnetism. You can also find helpful simulations and calculators online that can assist in understanding the magnetic forces and their effects on massive objects.

Related to Exploring Magnetic Forces: Net Field Effects & "Spring" Constants

1. What are magnetic forces and how do they work?

Magnetic forces are the forces that act between magnets or between a magnet and a magnetic material. They are caused by the magnetic field, which is a region around a magnet where it exerts a force on other magnets or magnetic materials. Magnetic forces work through the interaction of magnetic poles, which can either attract or repel each other depending on their orientation.

2. What are net field effects and how do they influence magnetic forces?

Net field effects refer to the overall magnetic field created by multiple magnets or magnetic materials in a given area. This can affect the strength and direction of magnetic forces between objects. For example, if two magnets with opposite poles are placed close together, the net field effect will be stronger between them, resulting in a stronger magnetic force.

3. How do we measure the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field is measured in units called teslas (T) or gauss (G). This can be done using a device called a magnetometer, which can detect and measure the strength of magnetic fields. In addition, the strength of a magnetic field can also be calculated using mathematical equations based on the distance between magnets and their magnetic properties.

4. What is a "spring" constant and how does it relate to magnetic forces?

A "spring" constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring or any other elastic material. In the context of magnetic forces, it refers to the strength of the force needed to stretch or compress a magnet or magnetic material. This value can be used to calculate the amount of force needed to overcome the magnetic force between two objects and separate them.

5. How can we apply our knowledge of magnetic forces and net field effects in real life?

Understanding magnetic forces and net field effects can have practical applications in various fields, such as engineering, medicine, and technology. For example, it can be used in the design of magnetic levitation systems, MRI machines, and electric motors. It can also help in the development of new materials with specific magnetic properties for different purposes.