Exploring Magnet Strength Over Distance: Joe's First Post

In summary, the strength of magnets over distance is determined by the force between two magnetic dipoles, which falls off as 1/r^4 when the separation is large compared to the size of the magnets. The magnets will always attract, but the attraction gets less and less as they get further apart. In order to calculate when one magnet will start to move, the coefficient of static friction between the magnet and the surface it is on must be known. For a fixed magnet on a rotor blade, there will be no friction other than air resistance. The relationship between the north and south poles of the magnets can be determined using the formula, with the attraction at 5 cm being 16 times larger than at 10 cm.
joeyh1234
Hello Physics Forums World

this is my first post so please be gentle.

I am working on a project and wanted to understand the strength of magnets over distance.

Imagine, if you will, two magnets both with a gauss of 3600, the opposite poles are facing each other. how would I calculate the distance they have to be apart before they start to pull towards each other. Also assume that one of the magnets is in a fixed position. so only one of the magnets would move.

If any further detail is required I will respond as soon as possible.

many thanks
joe

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome! Try reading this Wikipedia entry. The force between two magnetic dipoles falls off as 1/r^4 when the separation is large compared to the size of the magnets. So there is no distance where they " start to pull towards each other". They are always attracting no matter how far apart they are, it is just that the attraction gets less and less as they get further apart. If they are sitting on a surface ( let's say a table), then in order to calculate when one magnet starts to move as you bring them together, you need to know the coefficient of static friction between the magnet and the table. The magnet will start to move when the force of magnetic attraction exceeds the frictional force.

Hi, Many thanks for responding.

I will read the wiki entry later, in my project/experiment one of the magenets is fixed to a rotor blade in a mglav track so there wouldn't be any friction other than air resistance.

I suppose i was looking for a formula which I could use to determine the pulling strength of the two magnets over distance so if to begin with at 10 cm apart they was no noticeable pull but at 5 cm it did pull. I want to understand/know the relationship between the north of one and the south of the other (both 3600 gauss).

Many thanks for your earlier prompt response.

thanks
joe

The formula you are looking for is in the Wiki link I sent you. Again, it is approximately 1/r^4, so the attraction at 5 cm will be 16X larger than the attraction at 10 cm.

Hello Joe,

Welcome to Physics Forums! It's great to see you exploring the fascinating world of magnetism. To calculate the distance at which two magnets with a gauss of 3600 will start to pull towards each other, you will need to use the inverse square law for magnetic force. This law states that the force between two magnets is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

To apply this law, you will need to know the magnetic field strength at a specific distance from the magnet. This can be calculated using the formula B = μ0M/(4πr^3), where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, M is the magnetic moment of the magnet, and r is the distance from the magnet.

Once you have calculated the magnetic field strength at a certain distance, you can then use the inverse square law to determine the distance at which the magnets will start to pull towards each other. Simply set the magnetic force between the two magnets equal to the gravitational force and solve for the distance.

I hope this helps with your project. If you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. Happy experimenting!

Best regards,

Related to Exploring Magnet Strength Over Distance: Joe's First Post

1. How does the strength of a magnet change over distance?

The strength of a magnet decreases as the distance between the magnet and the object it is attracting increases. This is due to the magnet's magnetic field spreading out over a larger area as the distance increases, resulting in a weaker force.

2. What factors affect the strength of a magnet?

The strength of a magnet is affected by its material, size, and shape. A magnet made of a stronger material, such as neodymium, will have a stronger magnetic field. A larger magnet will also have a stronger magnetic field, as will a magnet in a more compact shape, such as a bar or horseshoe.

3. How can I measure the strength of a magnet?

The strength of a magnet can be measured using a gaussmeter, which detects the magnetic field strength in units of gauss or tesla. Another way to measure magnet strength is by observing the magnet's ability to attract or repel other objects.

4. How does distance affect the strength of a magnet's magnetic field?

As the distance between a magnet and another object increases, the magnetic field of the magnet becomes weaker. This is because the magnetic field lines spread out over a larger area, resulting in a decrease in the strength of the field at any given point.

5. Can the strength of a magnet be increased over distance?

No, the strength of a magnet cannot be increased over distance. In fact, the strength of a magnet always decreases as distance increases. This is a fundamental principle of magnetism and cannot be changed.