Exploring Lorentz Space: Definition of f*

In summary, the definition in the Lorentz space involves a function f^* that maps from [0, ∞) to [0, ∞] and is defined as the infimum of all α values such that d_f(α) is less than or equal to a given t. d_f(α) represents a measurable set where the absolute value of f(x) is greater than α. In simpler terms, f^*(t) is the maximum shift of the function f that results in a pink area of size t.
zeebek
I am reading the definition in wiki ( nothing better at the moment)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_space

It seems too vague for me, namely what they call "rearrangement function" [itex]f^{*}[/itex]:

[tex]f^{*}: [0, \infty) \rightarrow [0, \infty]; \\

f^{*}(t) = \inf\{\alpha \in \mathbb{R}^{+}: d_f(\alpha) \leq t\}; \\

d_f(\alpha) = \mu(\{x \in X : |f(x)| > \alpha\}).

[/tex]

I am trying to put in words what is written. Is it right:

first for a given [itex]t[/itex] we are looking for all [itex]\alpha[/itex]'s, so that [itex]d_f(\alpha) \leq t[/itex], where [itex]d_f(\alpha) [/itex] is basically a size of the area where [itex]|f(x)| > \alpha [/itex]? Then we take infinum via [itex] \alpha [/itex], so as a result there will be the smallest [itex]d[/itex]?

Still I cannot imagine "geometrically" how is it?

At last, I need just simpler difinition for the case when [itex]f[/itex] is real.

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's look at an easy example, i.e. one where all quantities are real numbers. We don't start with the infimum, but with the measurable set instead. Given the function ##f## as below, and a level ##a##. Then ##d_f(a)## is the pink area. Now we shift ##f## upwards until this area is as big as ##t## and define ##f*(t)## to be this maximal shift.
1576594746004.png

Related to Exploring Lorentz Space: Definition of f*

1. What is Lorentz space?

Lorentz space is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe the relationship between space and time. It was first introduced by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century as a way to explain the effects of length contraction and time dilation in Einstein's theory of special relativity.

2. How is Lorentz space defined?

Lorentz space is defined as a four-dimensional space with three spatial dimensions (length, width, and height) and one temporal dimension (time). It is often represented as a 4D coordinate system, where the x, y, and z axes represent the three spatial dimensions and the t axis represents time.

3. What is the significance of f* in exploring Lorentz space?

f* is a mathematical concept used in Lorentz space to represent the ratio of an object's velocity to the speed of light. This value is important because it affects how an object experiences time and space in relation to an observer. Objects moving at high speeds will have a larger f* value, leading to effects such as time dilation and length contraction.

4. How does exploring Lorentz space help us understand the universe?

Exploring Lorentz space allows us to better understand the fundamental concepts of space and time, and how they are intertwined. It also helps us understand the effects of high speeds and how they influence the behavior of objects in the universe. This knowledge is essential in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Lorentz space?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of Lorentz space. It is used in the development of GPS technology, where the effects of time dilation must be taken into account for accurate positioning. Lorentz space is also used in particle accelerators to study the behavior of particles at high speeds. It is also an important concept in the development of theories such as the Big Bang and black holes.