Exploring Lone Pair Angles in H2O: Understanding VSEPR Theory

In summary, the conversation discussed the angles between lone pairs in H2O and the confusion surrounding its value. It was determined that the correct angle is not 109.5 degrees due to the unique shape of the water molecule.
alingy1

Homework Statement

What are the angles between lone pairs in H2O? I know that the bonds are separated by 109.5°. What about the lone pair angles? I googled everything. I found nothing. I cannot directly assume it is 109.5°... I have a basic knowledge of VSEPR.

Physics news on Phys.org
alingy1 said:
I know that the bonds are separated by 109.5°.
Really? I thought it was 104.45 degrees.
In VSEPR, both bonding and lone pairs should be distributed approximately along the corners of a tetrahedron. Lone pairs are a bit more space filling than bonding pairs, so that the angle between the lone pairs is somewhat larger.

I will double check my answers before posting.

Last edited:
Treedude said:
H2O is bent. 109.5

H2O is bent, but 109.5 is incorrect. Water molecule is not tetrahedral. DrDu already posted a correct value.

Thank you for your question. The angles between lone pairs in H2O can vary depending on the specific geometry of the molecule. In VSEPR theory, lone pairs are treated as electron domains and their repulsion with other electron domains, such as bonding pairs, determines the overall shape of the molecule.

In the case of H2O, the molecule has a bent shape with a bond angle of approximately 109.5°. This angle is determined by the repulsion between the two bonding pairs of electrons. However, the lone pairs also contribute to the overall shape of the molecule.

The lone pairs in H2O are located on the oxygen atom, which has a total of four electron domains (two bonding pairs and two lone pairs). The lone pairs repel each other and also repel the bonding pairs, resulting in a slight decrease in the bond angle. This leads to an estimated lone pair angle of around 104°, slightly smaller than the bond angle of 109.5°.

It is important to note that these angles are not exact and can vary slightly due to factors such as bond length and electronegativity. However, understanding VSEPR theory can provide a good estimate of the angles between lone pairs in H2O and other molecules.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of lone pair angles in H2O and the role of VSEPR theory in understanding molecular geometry. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification on any of the concepts discussed.

Related to Exploring Lone Pair Angles in H2O: Understanding VSEPR Theory

1. What is the lone pair angle in H2O?

The lone pair angle in H2O refers to the angle formed by the two bonding pairs and the two non-bonding (lone) pairs of electrons in a water molecule. It is also known as the H-O-H bond angle.

2. What is the value of the lone pair angle in H2O?

The value of the lone pair angle in H2O is approximately 104.5 degrees. This angle is slightly less than the ideal tetrahedral angle of 109.5 degrees due to the repulsion between the two lone pairs of electrons.

3. How does the lone pair angle affect the shape of H2O?

The presence of the two lone pairs of electrons in H2O causes the molecule to have a bent or V-shape, rather than a linear shape. This is because the lone pairs repel the bonding pairs, causing the molecule to distort from its ideal linear shape.

4. Why is the lone pair angle important in chemistry?

The lone pair angle is important in chemistry because it affects the overall shape and polarity of a molecule. This can have an impact on the molecule's properties, such as its reactivity and solubility.

5. Can the lone pair angle in H2O change?

No, the lone pair angle in H2O cannot change as it is determined by the arrangement of atoms and electrons in the molecule. However, the angle can be influenced by external factors such as other atoms or molecules interacting with the water molecule.