Exploring k-Equivalence in Computability Theory

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary: I think it was the third or fourth question.At the first column we have the states. At the two next columns we have the transitions and at the fourth column we have the output.So the output depends only on the state and not on the input? I have not seen such automata before. It may be good to provide a definition in order to be sure.Yes, that is correct.Machines of finite states are meant. Have you encountered infinite states somewhere? (Smile)
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

In the notes of computability theory, I found the following:

$$q \sim_0 q' (\text{ q, q' are 0-equivalent}) \Leftrightarrow \text{For each input, q,q' have the same output} $$

$$q \sim_k q' (\text{ q, q' are k-equivalent}) \Leftrightarrow \text{ q,q'are 0-equivalent and } \forall x \in \Sigma , \delta(q,x) \sim_{k-1} \delta(q',x)$$

We have the following:

View attachment 5802

$0$-equivalent: $\{ A,B,C,E\}, \{ D,F,G,H\}$

$1$-equivalnt: $\{ A,B,C,E\}, \{D\}, \{ F,G,H\}$

$2$-equivalent: $\{A,C\}, \{B,E\}, \{ D \}, \{ F,G,H\}$

$3$-equivalent: $\{A,C\}, \{B,E\}, \{ D \}, \{F,G,H \}$

Could you explain to me how we found the $k$-equivalent sets for $k \geq 1$ ?
How do we find the states $q, q'$ for which $\delta(q, x) \sim_{k-1} \delta(q',x)$ ?

Attachments

• inp.png
    inp.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 61
Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of finite automata are you talking about? What do the columns of the table mean?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
What kind of finite automata are you talking about? What do the columns of the table mean?

Machines of finite states are meant. At the first column we have the states. At the two next columns we have the transitions and at the fourth column we have the output.

evinda said:
Machines of finite states are meant.
Have you encountered infinite states somewhere? (Smile)

evinda said:
At the first column we have the states. At the two next columns we have the transitions and at the fourth column we have the output.
So the output depends only on the state and not on the input? I have not seen such automata before. It may be good to provide a definition in order to be sure.

evinda said:
Could you explain to me how we found the $k$-equivalent sets for $k \geq 1$ ?
How do we find the states $q, q'$ for which $\delta(q, x) \sim_{k-1} \delta(q',x)$ ?

evinda said:
Machines of finite states are meant. At the first column we have the states. At the two next columns we have the transitions and at the fourth column we have the output.

States $q$ and $q'$ are considered 1-equivalent if both $\delta(q,0) \sim_0 \delta(q',0)$ and $\delta(q,1) \sim_0 \delta(q',1)$.

Let's take a look at $A$ and $B$.
We have $\delta(A,0)=F$ and $\delta(B,0)=D$.
We've already found that $F$ and $D$ are 0-equivalent, so $\delta(A,0) \sim_0 \delta(B,0)$.
Same for $\delta(A,1)=B \sim_0 C=\delta(B,1)$.
So $A \sim_1 B$.

Are $A$ and $C$ 1-equivalent?
And $D$ and $F$?
How about whether $A$ and $B$ are 2-equivalent?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Have you encountered infinite states somewhere? (Smile)

No, I haven't seen them.
Machines of finite states is the titel of the chapter where I found the $k$-equivalent states.
Evgeny.Makarov said:
So the output depends only on the state and not on the input? I have not seen such automata before. It may be good to provide a definition in order to be sure.

I have the definition that I wrote at my initial post.

I like Serena said:
States $q$ and $q'$ are considered 1-equivalent if both $\delta(q,0) \sim_0 \delta(q',0)$ and $\delta(q,1) \sim_0 \delta(q',1)$.

Let's take a look at $A$ and $B$.
We have $\delta(A,0)=F$ and $\delta(B,0)=D$.
We've already found that $F$ and $D$ are 0-equivalent, so $\delta(A,0) \sim_0 \delta(B,0)$.
Same for $\delta(A,1)=B \sim_0 C=\delta(B,1)$.
So $A \sim_1 B$.

Are $A$ and $C$ 1-equivalent?
And $D$ and $F$?
How about whether $A$ and $B$ are 2-equivalent?

We have that $\delta(A,0)=F$ and $\delta(C,0)=G$ and we know that $F \sim_0 G$. Also we have that $\delta(A,1)=B \sim_0 \delta(C,1)=B$.

So $A \sim_1 C$.

$\delta(D,0)=E \not\sim_0 \delta(F,0)=A$.

So $D$ and $F$ are not 1-equivalent.

$A$ and $B$ are not $2$-equivalent since $\delta(A,0) \not\sim_1 \delta(B,0)=D$.

We get the same set of states to be $2$- and $3$- equivalent.

Will the same sets be $k$-equivalent for any $k \geq 4$ ?

evinda said:
No, I haven't seen them.
Machines of finite states is the titel of the chapter where I found the $k$-equivalent states.
My reply was supposed to underscore a funny interpretation of the phrase "Machines of finite states". On the surface this may mean "machines consisting of finite states". I have never seen the concept of a "finite state" (as a noun) in the theory of computation. What people study are machines with finite or infinite number of states. Thus, it's the set of states in a machine and not states themselves that can be finite or infinite. The phrase "finite-state" is used as an adjective rather than as a noun. Correspondingly, I was hoping you would rewrite "machines of finite states" as "machines with finite number of states".

evinda said:
I have the definition that I wrote at my initial post.
I mean the definition of the type of machines, not this particular machine. Something like "a finite automaton is a quintuple $(Q,\Sigma,\delta,q_0,F)$..." Otherwise there is a lack of clarity in the problem statement. For example, as I understand, ILS started answering without taking outputs into account at all.

Last edited:
It appears we can solve the problem without actually knowing what these outputs connected to states are, especially since evinda only asked for help when $k\ge 1$.
Those output states might mean anything. I'd like to interpret them as final states, which makes sense. Maybe it was something that got lost in translation? (Wondering)

The definition of $\sim_k$ is similar to that in Lewis, Papadimitriou, pp. 98-99, but not exactly the same.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
The definition of $\sim_k$ is similar to that in Lewis, Papadimitriou, pp. 98-99, but not exactly the same.

What is the difference?

evinda said:
Will the same sets be $k$-equivalent for any $k \geq 4$ ?

Yes.
Since it didn't change in the last iteration, it won't change in another iteration. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
What is the difference?
In L&P we say that $q\sim_k p$ if $q\sim_{k-1} p$ and $\delta(q,a)\sim_{k-1}\delta(p,a)$ for all $a\in\Sigma$. In fact, this is an equivalent characterization, and the original definition is that $q\sim_k p$ if $\delta(q,w)\in F\iff\delta(p,w)\in F$ for all $w\in\Sigma^*$ such that $|w|\le k$. This is for conventional DFAs, without any output.

Related to Exploring k-Equivalence in Computability Theory

1. What is k-equivalence in computability theory?

K-equivalence is a concept in computability theory that refers to the idea that two computations are equivalent if they produce the same result for all inputs up to a certain length k. This means that the two computations produce the same output for inputs of length k or less, but may differ for longer inputs.

2. How is k-equivalence different from other types of equivalence in computability theory?

K-equivalence differs from other types of equivalence, such as Turing equivalence or strong equivalence, in that it only considers inputs of a certain length k. This allows for a more precise comparison between computations and can be useful in certain situations.

3. What is the significance of exploring k-equivalence in computability theory?

Exploring k-equivalence can help us better understand the limitations and capabilities of different computational models. It can also provide insights into the complexity of problems and the efficiency of algorithms.

4. Can k-equivalence be extended to inputs of any length?

No, k-equivalence is limited to inputs of a specific length k. This is because as the length of the input increases, the number of possible inputs also increases exponentially, making it impossible to compare all possible inputs for equivalence.

5. How is k-equivalence used in practical applications?

K-equivalence is primarily a theoretical concept used in the study of computability theory. However, it can also be applied in practical settings, such as in the design and analysis of algorithms, to determine the efficiency and correctness of the algorithm for certain inputs of a specific length.