Exploring Ion Accelerators: A Look at Russia's Latest Advancements

In summary, Recently in Russia, a book was published discussing a specific accelerator of ions that are accelerated by electrons. The accelerator is 15 cm in length and has 1 MeV of electron beam, producing ions of 1 GeV at the exit. It is unknown if there are similar accelerators in the West. The RHIC accelerators do not use the same effect mentioned in the conversation, but rather use conventional methods. There is ongoing research on using electrons to accelerate ions, with potential applications in fields such as medicine. Some labs in the Northern Hemisphere are already using this technique with powerful lasers. The currents in these accelerators can reach up to 100,000 A with a duration of 10-8 to 10-
Bob_for_short
Recently in Russia they published a book about a specific accelerator of ions. The ions are accelerated by electrons. They built an accelerator of 15 cm in length, with 1 MeV of electron beam and they obtain ions of 1 GeV at the exit. I wonder if there are similar accelerators in the West?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
RHIC

Also, the third phase of the LHC

As far as I could understand, RHIC Accelerators do not use the effect I mention in OP. I repeat: the ions are accelerated by electrons, not by electrodes.

Yeah, RHIC is "conventional", but WOW! Quark-gluon plasmas... tiny black holes...

As for using electrons, this is somewhat of a holy-grail in some circles. The concept is simple; take some electrons from a plasma, separate them from the ions, and there will be an electrostatic field that is so huge that the ions will reach high energies in 10's of microns. This is what is done (routinely) in many laser labs, mostly in the Northern Hemisphere. Fire a very powerful laser at an extremely thin piece of solid. The laser "heats" the electrons predominantly in the forward direction, they leave the target and set up this short-lived field that accelerates ions.

The electrons have a "temperature" of order of MeV, as you said, and, if the ions are protons, their energies are coming out at 20-50 MeV. For higher Z ions, the energies can be > GeV. But one must look at the energy per nucleon before one is impressed or not! For medical applications, protons at 200 MeV are needed to get to ~ center of a human body. So, for applications, think of 200 MeV per nucleon, roughly.

I'm not sure what you are referencing in you initial comment, but ions can be accelerated by electrons to GeV energies in 10-100 microns and 10-100 psec. But take care of which ion and, for my example, there is a rather large laser used to make the electrons.

takeTwo said:
...I'm not sure what you are referencing in you initial comment, but ions can be accelerated by electrons to GeV energies in 10-100 microns and 10-100 psec. But take care of which ion and, for my example, there is a rather large laser used to make the electrons.
I myself do not know much about it. They say currents are about 10000-100000 A, duration: 10-8 - 10-9 s. And I think there is no laser involved. I have to find out more though.

Bob_for_short said:
I myself do not know much about it. They say currents are about 10000-100000 A, duration: 10-8 - 10-9 s. And I think there is no laser involved. I have to find out more though.

I'd be interesting as to what kind of accelerator this is. With such high currents, I suspect that it is also large aperture, too. kA/cm^2 time x cm^2.

Could it be for neutral-beam heating of tokamaks? On second thought, probably not. Those would be H- ions (H with 2 electrons; or is it H2 with one extra electron?) and 1 GeV is a huge energy.

Related to Exploring Ion Accelerators: A Look at Russia's Latest Advancements

1. What is an ion accelerator?

An ion accelerator is a type of particle accelerator that uses electric fields to accelerate charged particles, specifically ions, to high speeds. These high-speed ions can then be used for a variety of applications, such as medical treatments, materials analysis, and nuclear research.

2. How do ion accelerators work?

Ion accelerators use a series of electric fields to accelerate ions. First, the ions are injected into the accelerator and passed through a series of alternating electric fields. As they pass through each field, they gain more and more energy, increasing their speed. The ions are then focused and directed towards a target or detector for use in experiments or applications.

3. What advancements has Russia made in ion accelerator technology?

Russia has made significant advancements in ion accelerator technology, particularly in the development of high-power and superconducting accelerators. They have also made strides in developing compact and portable accelerators for medical and industrial use, as well as exploring new methods for accelerating particles, such as laser-plasma acceleration.

4. What are some potential applications for ion accelerators?

Ion accelerators have a wide range of potential applications in fields such as medicine, materials science, and nuclear research. They can be used for cancer treatments, producing radioisotopes for medical imaging, analyzing materials at the atomic level, and studying the properties of nuclear matter.

5. What are the benefits of using ion accelerators?

There are several benefits to using ion accelerators, including the ability to study and manipulate particles at the atomic level, the production of valuable isotopes for medical and industrial use, and the potential for advancements in fields such as energy production and space travel. Additionally, ion accelerators can provide a cost-effective and efficient method for conducting experiments and research compared to other technologies.