Exploring Geometric Meaning of Time and Space at a Black Hole's Event Horizon

In summary: If you do, then I think I answered your question.In summary, the concept of time and space switching roles at the event horizon of a non-rotating black hole is a coordinate effect and not a physical one. This means that inside the event horizon, the behavior of spacetime is still governed by the same 4 dimensions and there is no actual switching of time and space. However, there is a causal disconnection between inside and outside the event horizon, meaning that what happens inside cannot influence what happens outside. This is due to the fact that anything inside the event horizon would have to travel faster than light, which is not possible according to the laws of physics.
scope
hello,

what does exactly mean geometrically that time and space switch roles at the event horizon of a nonrotating black hole?. I understand that the - for time becomes a + and the + for space becomes -, but how to interpret it geometrically?
also I want to know if after the event horizon, inside the black hole, (its nearly the same question) whether the infalling object is still in exactly the same 4-dimensionnal spacetime as the observer or if the object has exited it.
thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
One way to look at it is that outside the event horizon you can only move forward in time, not backward. Similarly inside the event horizon you can only move to smaller r, you can't move to larger r no matter what you do. Your second question is more philosophical. The spacetime inside the event horizon is causally disconnected from the spacetime outside the event horizon, so what is inside the event horizon cannot influence what is outside. Does this mean it is not "the same spacetime"? I'm not sure.

thanks, but for the second question i was just wondering if the content of the black hole inside the event horizon is exactly contained in the same 4 spacetime dimensions of the observer. I mean: are only 4 spacetime dimensions required to contain the behavior outside of the event horizon and inside of the even horizon(without talking about the singularity) for a Schwarzschild black hole, mathematically (Schwarzschild metric)?
thanks

Yes, a Schwarzschild metric has just 4 spacetime dimensions, both inside and outside the event horizon.

phyzguy said:
The spacetime inside the event horizon is causally disconnected from the spacetime outside the event horizon, so what is inside the event horizon cannot influence what is outside. Does this mean it is not "the same spacetime"? I'm not sure.

What's inside the horizon can't causally influence what's outside, but what's outside *can* influence what's inside. So the region inside the horizon is still part of the same spacetime. The reason causal influences can't propagate from inside the horizon to outside is simply that to do so, they would have to travel faster than light, and causal influences can't travel faster than light.

scope said:
what does exactly mean geometrically that time and space switch roles at the event horizon of a nonrotating black hole?.
Time and space do not switch roles at the EH.

I think you are confused by the behavior of Schwarzschild coordinates outside and beyond the event horizon where the r looks like t and the t like r. But this is a coordinate effect not something physical.

And observer free falling through the EH will not notice anything related to switching space and time.

Passionflower said:
Time and space do not switch roles at the EH.

I think you are confused by the behavior of Schwarzschild coordinates outside and beyond the event horizon where the r looks like t and the t like r. But this is a coordinate effect not something physical.

And observer free falling through the EH will not notice anything related to switching space and time.

of course i was referring about the coordinate effect: how the spacetime inside the event horizon behaves mathematically in the observer reference frame. in such case, time and space switch roles

scope said:
of course i was referring about the coordinate effect: how the spacetime inside the event horizon behaves mathematically in the observer reference frame. in such case, time and space switch roles
Spacetime behaves locally the same everywhere. I am still not convinced if you fully understand that this 'switching' is simply a coordinate chart effect and nothing physically.

Related to Exploring Geometric Meaning of Time and Space at a Black Hole's Event Horizon

What is a black hole's event horizon?

A black hole's event horizon is the boundary surrounding a black hole where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape from it.

How does time and space behave at a black hole's event horizon?

At a black hole's event horizon, time and space behave very differently compared to our everyday experiences. Due to the extreme gravitational pull, time moves slower and the laws of physics as we know them break down.

Why is it important to explore the geometric meaning of time and space at a black hole's event horizon?

Studying the behavior of time and space at a black hole's event horizon can help us better understand the mysteries of the universe and the fundamental laws of physics. It can also provide insights into the nature of gravity and the structure of space-time.

What are some potential implications of understanding the geometric meaning of time and space at a black hole's event horizon?

Understanding the geometric meaning of time and space at a black hole's event horizon could have significant implications for space travel, as well as for our understanding of the origins and fate of the universe. It could also lead to advancements in technologies related to gravity and space-time.

How do scientists explore the geometric meaning of time and space at a black hole's event horizon?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical models, computer simulations, and observations from telescopes and other instruments to explore the geometric meaning of time and space at a black hole's event horizon. This can involve studying the effects of gravitational lensing, time dilation, and other phenomena near the event horizon.