Exploring General Relativity: Independent Study Proposal Based on MIT Course

• Courses
  • Thread starter Reedeegi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary: I also have a solid understanding of geometric algebra.In summary, the individual is proposing an independent study based on the MIT 8.962 course on General Relativity. The course plan follows a similar structure and includes topics such as special relativity, tensors, and tensor analysis. The plan includes weekly meetings with an advisor and the completion of a thesis and lecture. The individual is more familiar with vectors and geometric algebra, but feels they need more practice in tensors and tensor analysis.
Reedeegi
I'm proposing an independent study for my school, and I was wondering if this course seems even possible to do. It follows the MIT 8.962 course, General Relativity, and the Calendar is virtually taken from their syllabus. It goes:

Week 1
Set up computer, familiarize with the text
Week 2
Geometric Viewpoint on Physics in Flat Spacetime: Vectors and Dual Vectors, Tensors;
Special Relativity
Week 3
Geometric Viewpoint on Physics in Flat Spacetime: Energy and Momentum, Conserved Currents, Stress Energy Tensor;
Transformation Law for Tensors
Week 4
Metric in a Curved Space;
Orthonormal and Coordinate Bases; Derivatives; Tensor Densities; Differential Forms and Integration;
Gauge/Coordinate Transformations
Week 5
Metric in a Curved Space (cont.);
Orthonormal and Coordinate Bases; Derivatives; Tensor Densities; Differential Forms and Integration (cont.);
Gauge/Coordinate Transformations (cont.)
Week 6
Connection and Curvature, Geodesics;
Introduction to Curvature
Week 7
Curvature Continued: Geodesic Deviation, Bianchi Identity;
Killing Vectors and Symmetries
Week 8
Einstein's Equation and Gravitation;
Cosmological Constant;
Hilbert Action
Week 9
Weak Field/Linearized General Relativity;
Spacetime of an Isolated Weakly Gravitating Body
Week 10
Gravitational Waves
Week 11
Gravitational Lensing
Week 12
Cosmology;
Distance Measures and Redshift;
Our Universe
Week 13
Schwarzschild Solution;
Birkhoff's Theorem, Metric of a Spherical "Star"
Week 14
Black Holes;
Collapse to Black Hole; Orbits of a Black Hole;
Kerr and Reissner-Nordstrom Solutions
Week 15
Advanced Topics and Current Research in General Relativity
Week 16
Use fragments of thesis and sew them together, choose and plan lecture
Week 17
Deliver lecture; Edit thesis
Week 18
Turn in peer-reviewed thesis

The thesis will be probably 15-25 pages, and the lecture will be approximately 30 minutes long. I plan to meet with an advisor approximately every week, who will assess my knowledge of the topics I learned in the previous week. Does this seem possible? Also, I have DG under my belt, so the only math subject I'd be unfamiliar with would be tensor analysis.

Physics news on Phys.org
Reedeegi said:
I'm proposing an independent study for my school, and I was wondering if this course seems even possible to do. It follows the MIT 8.962 course, General Relativity, and the Calendar is virtually taken from their syllabus. It goes:

Week 1
Set up computer, familiarize with the text
Week 2
Geometric Viewpoint on Physics in Flat Spacetime: Vectors and Dual Vectors, Tensors;
Special Relativity
Week 3
Geometric Viewpoint on Physics in Flat Spacetime: Energy and Momentum, Conserved Currents, Stress Energy Tensor;
Transformation Law for Tensors
Week 4
Metric in a Curved Space;
Orthonormal and Coordinate Bases; Derivatives; Tensor Densities; Differential Forms and Integration;
Gauge/Coordinate Transformations
Week 5
Metric in a Curved Space (cont.);
Orthonormal and Coordinate Bases; Derivatives; Tensor Densities; Differential Forms and Integration (cont.);
Gauge/Coordinate Transformations (cont.)
Week 6
Connection and Curvature, Geodesics;
Introduction to Curvature
Week 7
Curvature Continued: Geodesic Deviation, Bianchi Identity;
Killing Vectors and Symmetries
Week 8
Einstein's Equation and Gravitation;
Cosmological Constant;
Hilbert Action
Week 9
Weak Field/Linearized General Relativity;
Spacetime of an Isolated Weakly Gravitating Body
Week 10
Gravitational Waves
Week 11
Gravitational Lensing
Week 12
Cosmology;
Distance Measures and Redshift;
Our Universe
Week 13
Schwarzschild Solution;
Birkhoff's Theorem, Metric of a Spherical "Star"
Week 14
Black Holes;
Collapse to Black Hole; Orbits of a Black Hole;
Kerr and Reissner-Nordstrom Solutions
Week 15
Advanced Topics and Current Research in General Relativity
Week 16
Use fragments of thesis and sew them together, choose and plan lecture
Week 17
Deliver lecture; Edit thesis
Week 18
Turn in peer-reviewed thesis

The thesis will be probably 15-25 pages, and the lecture will be approximately 30 minutes long. I plan to meet with an advisor approximately every week, who will assess my knowledge of the topics I learned in the previous week. Does this seem possible? Also, I have DG under my belt, so the only math subject I'd be unfamiliar with would be tensor analysis.

how do you know dg but not tensor analysis? they're practically synonymous?

ice109 said:
how do you know dg but not tensor analysis? they're practically synonymous?
I'm more familiar with vectors and I've done some work in tensors but I feel I need more practice in it.

Related to Exploring General Relativity: Independent Study Proposal Based on MIT Course

1. What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravity proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It describes how massive objects interact with each other and how this interaction affects the geometry of space and time.

2. How is general relativity different from Newton's theory of gravity?

Unlike Newton's theory of gravity, which describes gravity as a force between massive objects, general relativity explains gravity as a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of massive objects. It also predicts the existence of phenomena such as gravitational time dilation and gravitational waves, which are not accounted for in Newton's theory.

3. What is the significance of studying general relativity?

General relativity is one of the most well-tested and successful theories in physics. It has been crucial in understanding the behavior of objects in the universe, from planets and stars to galaxies and the entire universe. It also has practical applications, such as in GPS technology and in the study of black holes.

4. What is the MIT course on general relativity about?

The MIT course, titled "Exploring Black Holes: General Relativity & Astrophysics", is an introductory course that covers the basics of general relativity and its applications in astrophysics. It includes topics such as curved spacetime, Einstein's equations, and the properties of black holes.

5. Can general relativity be understood without a strong background in mathematics?

While a basic understanding of mathematics is necessary to fully grasp the concepts of general relativity, the MIT course is designed to be accessible to students with a range of mathematical backgrounds. It provides clear explanations and visual aids to help students understand the concepts without requiring advanced math skills.