Exploring Game Theory: A Math-Focused Introduction

In summary, this person recommends Game Theory readings by Jean Tirole and Drew Fudenberg, as well as a free pdf of Yale's Games and Decisions.
Fisicks
Recently my economics class and john nash have lead to a curious interest in Game Theory. I'm obviously looking for an introduction, but all the ones I found on amazon seem to elude any mathematics, which is my main passion. So I ask for a proper introduction to Game Theory which is not afraid to dive into the math. Bearing in mind though, I have not studied multi variable calculus which from my knowledge seems to come into play at some points, but I also love a challenge.

Thanks all!

Physics news on Phys.org
This one is very clear!

But I think it will be tough if you haven't had any multivariable calculus. Have you at least done some linear algebra?

Wise choice, then!

I think Jean Tirole and Drew Fudenberg's Game Theory and Osborne and Rubinstein's A Course in Game Theory will satisfy you. If not, I recommend that you can search some essays in this area.

Fisicks, if you go to the author's website you'll find the pdfs of the first edition for free.

Yale game theory video lectures

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Exploring Game Theory: A Math-Focused Introduction

1. What is game theory?

Game theory is a branch of mathematics that studies strategic decision-making in situations where the outcome of one person's choice depends on the choices of others. It is used to analyze how rational individuals make decisions and how they interact with each other in competitive situations.

2. How is game theory applied in real life?

Game theory has many applications in various fields, such as economics, political science, psychology, and biology. It can be used to study human behavior in competitive situations, to understand the dynamics of markets and negotiations, and to analyze political and social interactions.

3. What are the key concepts in game theory?

The key concepts in game theory include players, strategies, payoffs, and equilibrium. Players are the decision-makers in the game, and strategies are the possible choices they can make. Payoffs represent the outcomes or rewards associated with each strategy, and equilibrium is a state where no player can improve their payoff by changing their strategy.

4. How does math play a role in game theory?

Mathematics is the foundation of game theory. It provides the tools and techniques to analyze and model strategic decision-making. Mathematical concepts such as probability, optimization, and algebra are used to study the different aspects of games and their outcomes.

5. What are some common game theory strategies?

Some common game theory strategies include dominant strategy, Nash equilibrium, and minimax strategy. A dominant strategy is a choice that always yields the best outcome for a player, regardless of the other players' choices. Nash equilibrium is a state where all players are making the best decision given the other players' choices. Minimax strategy involves selecting the strategy that minimizes the maximum possible loss.