Exploring Frictional Forces & Rotational Equilibrium

In summary: Whenever two things interact, they exert equal and opposite forces on each other. To kick your leg, let's say the lower leg, the rest of your body must exert various forces on your lower leg. Each one of those forces is part of a Newton's third law 'action/reaction' pair. For your leg to start moving, there must be a net force on it. (There will be an equal and opposite net force on the rest of your body.)
sgstudent

Homework Statement

When I drag my feet on the ground (on a frictionless surface), there will be an equal but opposite force acting on another body. What is that body exactly?

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Will it be transferred to some other parts to my body? So in space if i apply i push force the force will be transferred to some other part causing it to rotate? So it means that i might have translational equlibrium but i have a net moment so i can still rotate?

thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sgstudent said:
When I drag my feet on the ground (on a frictionless surface), there will be an equal but opposite force acting on another body. What is that body exactly?
It's not clear what force you are referring to. If the ground is frictionless, then you do not exert a friction force on it.

But you do exert other forces.
Will it be transferred to some other parts to my body? So in space if i apply i push force the force will be transferred to some other part causing it to rotate? So it means that i might have translational equlibrium but i have a net moment so i can still rotate?
Not sure what scenario you have in mind. Whenever any two objects interact, they exert equal and opposite force on each other. Whether you begin to rotate or not depends on where that force is exerted on you.

Doc Al said:
It's not clear what force you are referring to. If the ground is frictionless, then you do not exert a friction force on it.

But you do exert other forces.

Not sure what scenario you have in mind. Whenever any two objects interact, they exert equal and opposite force on each other. Whether you begin to rotate or not depends on where that force is exerted on you.

for example I'm in space and i kick forward. Where would my opposite reaction force be? I'm guessing another part of my body, so I don't have a net force on my body?

sgstudent said:
for example I'm in space and i kick forward. Where would my opposite reaction force be? I'm guessing another part of my body, so I don't have a net force on my body?
To kick your leg forward means that one part of your body exerts a force on the other. (Equal and opposite forces, per Newton's 3rd law.) No net force on you, since those forces are internal to you and add to zero.

Doc Al said:
To kick your leg forward means that one part of your body exerts a force on the other. (Equal and opposite forces, per Newton's 3rd law.) No net force on you, since those forces are internal to you and add to zero.
But in space the leg would still be able to move so why is the net force 0N?

sgstudent said:
But in space the leg would still be able to move so why is the net force 0N?
The net force on your body as whole is zero. So your center of mass will not accelerate. When you kick your leg out the net force on your leg is non-zero, so it accelerates. But not for long! (It's attached to you.)

Doc Al said:
The net force on your body as whole is zero. So your center of mass will not accelerate. When you kick your leg out the net force on your leg is non-zero, so it accelerates. But not for long! (It's attached to you.)

So do you mean the reaction force on the body is not directly behind the leg? Because if it is so then the leg shouldn't be move at all but it also doesn't make sense for the reaction force to be not directly behind it as well.

sgstudent said:
So do you mean the reaction force on the body is not directly behind the leg? Because if it is so then the leg shouldn't be move at all but it also doesn't make sense for the reaction force to be not directly behind it as well.
I don't quite understand what you mean by the reaction force being 'directly behind' the leg or why that implies that the leg shouldn't move at all.

Whenever two things interact, they exert equal and opposite forces on each other. To kick your leg, let's say the lower leg, the rest of your body must exert various forces on your lower leg. Each one of those forces is part of a Newton's third law 'action/reaction' pair.

For your leg to start moving, there must be a net force on it. (There will be an equal and opposite net force on the rest of your body.)

Let's take a simpler example, also out in space. Say you are tied to a bowling ball by a rope. You push the ball to the east, so it pushes you back to the west. Those forces are equal and opposite. The ball moves east and you move west. When the rope becomes taut it exerts a tension force on both of you, pulling you back. So you end up going nowhere.

Doc Al said:
I don't quite understand what you mean by the reaction force being 'directly behind' the leg or why that implies that the leg shouldn't move at all.

Whenever two things interact, they exert equal and opposite forces on each other. To kick your leg, let's say the lower leg, the rest of your body must exert various forces on your lower leg. Each one of those forces is part of a Newton's third law 'action/reaction' pair.

For your leg to start moving, there must be a net force on it. (There will be an equal and opposite net force on the rest of your body.)

Let's take a simpler example, also out in space. Say you are tied to a bowling ball by a rope. You push the ball to the east, so it pushes you back to the west. Those forces are equal and opposite. The ball moves east and you move west. When the rope becomes taut it exerts a tension force on both of you, pulling you back. So you end up going nowhere.

Oh, but if if the muscles behind my foot exert the force onto my leg won't the reaction force be on those muscles. So since they are so close together that tensional force would be instantaneous? Thanks for the help! :smile:

sgstudent said:
Oh, but if if the muscles behind my foot exert the force onto my leg won't the reaction force be on those muscles.
Of course.
So since they are so close together that tensional force would be instantaneous?
Not sure what you mean. Action/reaction forces are simultaneous.

The term 'action/reaction' is a bit misleading, as it seems to imply that one causes the other. Better to think of them as two aspects of a single interaction.

Doc Al said:
Of course.

Not sure what you mean. Action/reaction forces are simultaneous.

The term 'action/reaction' is a bit misleading, as it seems to imply that one causes the other. Better to think of them as two aspects of a single interaction.

Oh because if the muscles behind the foot exert a force onto the foot itself, then the simultaneous reaction force will be exerted upon those muscles. So how would the foot be able to move forward? Since both bodies are connected to each other unlike the example you gave whereby the rope was intially slack.

Thanks for the help! :smile:

Related to Exploring Frictional Forces & Rotational Equilibrium

1. What are frictional forces and how do they affect objects?

Frictional forces are a type of force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. They can either be static (when an object is not moving) or kinetic (when an object is moving). Frictional forces can slow down or stop the motion of an object, and they also play a role in the stability and equilibrium of objects.

2. How is rotational equilibrium different from translational equilibrium?

Rotational equilibrium refers to the balance of forces acting on an object that is rotating or turning around a fixed point. It takes into account the distribution of mass and the distance of the forces from the axis of rotation. Translational equilibrium, on the other hand, refers to the balance of forces acting on an object that is not rotating, but rather moving in a straight line with a constant speed.

3. What factors affect the amount of frictional force between two surfaces?

The amount of frictional force between two surfaces is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the normal force (or weight) of the object, and the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces. The coefficient of friction is a measure of how rough or smooth the surfaces are and how much they tend to stick together.

4. How can frictional forces be reduced or eliminated?

Frictional forces can be reduced or eliminated by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces in contact. Changing the material of the surfaces can also reduce friction (e.g. using wheels instead of sliding objects). In some cases, friction can be reduced by using air or water to create a cushion between the surfaces.

5. How do scientists study frictional forces and rotational equilibrium?

Scientists study frictional forces and rotational equilibrium through experiments in a controlled environment. They can vary different factors, such as the surfaces, the weight of the object, and the angle of rotation, to observe how they affect the forces. They can also use mathematical equations and models to predict and analyze the behavior of objects in equilibrium.