Exploring Feynman's Lectures with a CD Version

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lectures
In summary, The Feynman Lectures were recorded on audio tape and a cd version was checked out from the library to listen to during travel. Professor Feynman's voice and accent, reminiscent of Ed Norton from the Honeymooners, were a surprise. It is said that Feynman would alter his accent depending on his mood, with a thick Yiddish lilt present in some lectures. The difference between the impression of a person's voice from their writing and their actual voice, including paralanguage, is also a fascinating concept. For example, Einstein's strong German accent can be heard in recordings of his voice.
Jimmy Snyder
The Feynman Lectures were recorded on audio tape. I checked out a cd version from the library to listen to as I travel to and from work. Professor Feynman's voice and accent were a surprise. It's like listening to Ed Norton from the Honeymooners.

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmysnyder said:
The Feynman Lectures were recorded on audio tape. I checked out a cd version from the library to listen to as I travel to and from work. Professor Feynman's voice and accent were a surprise. It's like listening to Ed Norton from the Honeymooners.
Hehehehehe. I had the same reaction first time I heard him, though I thought of comedian Jackie Mason. It's a very NY Jewish/Yiddish accent.

Apparently Feynman punched his accent up or toned it down depending on his mood. It's extremely thick in the "lost" lecture on...Keppler, I think. The Yiddish lilt, a rising intonation at the end of thoughts, is not so apparent in his CalTech series.

I'm always fascinated by the difference between the impression I get of people's voices from their writing, and their actual voices. Not just their accents, but the whole phenomenon of their paralanguage which often doesn't come through in print at all.

Paralanguage refers to the non-verbal elements of communication used to modify meaning and convey emotion. Paralanguage may be expressed consciously or unconsciously, and it includes pitch, volume, and intonation of speech. Sometimes the definition is restricted to vocally-produced sounds. The study of paralanguage is known as paralinguistics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paralanguage

Sorry if this goes off-topic, but is also very curious the voice of Einstein, with a strong german accent.

http://www.aip.org/history/einstein/voice1.htm

What is "Exploring Feynman's Lectures with a CD Version"?

"Exploring Feynman's Lectures with a CD Version" is a comprehensive educational tool that allows users to access Richard Feynman's famous lectures on physics in a digital format. It includes interactive features, additional content, and search capabilities to enhance the learning experience.

Who is Richard Feynman?

Richard Feynman was an American theoretical physicist known for his work in quantum mechanics, particle physics, and the development of quantum electrodynamics. He was also a beloved teacher and lecturer, and his lectures on physics at the California Institute of Technology are legendary.

What makes "Exploring Feynman's Lectures with a CD Version" unique?

"Exploring Feynman's Lectures with a CD Version" is unique because it offers an interactive and multimedia approach to learning Feynman's lectures. Users can navigate through the lectures at their own pace, access additional content, and engage with interactive features to deepen their understanding of the material.

What topics are covered in "Exploring Feynman's Lectures with a CD Version"?

"Exploring Feynman's Lectures with a CD Version" covers a wide range of topics in physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and more. It also includes Feynman's famous lectures on introductory physics and the nature of science.

Who can benefit from using "Exploring Feynman's Lectures with a CD Version"?

"Exploring Feynman's Lectures with a CD Version" can benefit anyone interested in learning about physics, from students to professionals. It is also a valuable resource for teachers and educators looking to incorporate Feynman's lectures into their curriculum in a more interactive and engaging way.