Exploring Electromagnetic Radiation and Its Effect on Absolute Rest

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of absolute rest and the relation between acceleration and radiation. It is noted that while an object may seem to be at rest in one frame of reference, it may still be accelerating in another. This is explained by the theory of special relativity, where physics laws are equivalent in different frames of reference.
beckett
Hi,

I'm looking into electromagnetic radiation at the moment and something has just entered my head. If its true that an electron will not radiate unless its velocity changes with time then could this property be used to determine absolute rest. That is, how can we know that if something is really at rest in the universe, even the wire (and thus the electrons) i am holding is accelerating at the rate of the rotation of the Earth so even it must be radiating even though i consider it to be at rest relative to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
If an object is not accelerating, it is not necessarily at rest -- it could also be moving at a constant velocity. Acceleration is not "relative" in the same way as uniform motion.

- Warren

beckett said:
even the wire (and thus the electrons) i am holding is accelerating at the rate of the rotation of the Earth so even it must be radiating even though i consider it to be at rest relative to me.

Welcome to special relativity. A wire is neutral, but if it was a static-charged balloon instead, you would seem to have a paradox. This what Einsteins's 1905 paper is about. It is apparent that you have radiation in the rest frame, yet none in the accelerating frame.

You: "Ah, a charge that is not radiating, it must not be accelerating!"

<Your friend in a free falling gravity frame that is locally equivalent to yours. He can toss a balll back and forth between his hands the same way that you can.>

"I see the charge radiating man, its accelerating."

The point is, physics laws in his frame of reference are equivalent to yours*, and you both measure different values for the acceleration of a charge. Therefore acceleration is relative, if you want it to be.

*with the proper tensor formulation of the laws of physics.

Related to Exploring Electromagnetic Radiation and Its Effect on Absolute Rest

1. What is electromagnetic radiation and how does it relate to absolute rest?

Electromagnetic radiation is a form of energy that travels through space in the form of waves. It includes various types of radiation such as radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, x-rays, and gamma rays. According to the theory of relativity, absolute rest is a state in which an object has no motion relative to its surroundings. Electromagnetic radiation is the only type of energy that can travel through a vacuum, which makes it a useful tool for studying the concept of absolute rest.

2. What is the difference between electromagnetic radiation and other forms of energy?

Electromagnetic radiation differs from other forms of energy in several ways. Firstly, it is the only type of energy that can travel through a vacuum, while other forms of energy require a medium to travel through. Additionally, electromagnetic radiation has both wave-like and particle-like properties, which makes it unique from other forms of energy. It also has a wide range of frequencies and wavelengths, which allows it to interact with matter in various ways.

3. How does electromagnetic radiation affect different objects in absolute rest?

In the theory of relativity, the concept of absolute rest is closely related to the speed of light. Electromagnetic radiation, being the only form of energy that can travel at the speed of light, has a significant impact on objects in absolute rest. It can cause both physical and chemical changes in matter, depending on the type and intensity of radiation. For example, high-frequency radiation like gamma rays can cause ionization and damage to DNA, while visible light is essential for photosynthesis in plants.

4. What are some practical applications of studying electromagnetic radiation and absolute rest?

The study of electromagnetic radiation and absolute rest has several practical applications. For instance, it is used in various fields of science, such as astronomy, medicine, and telecommunications. By studying how electromagnetic radiation interacts with matter, we can gain a better understanding of the universe and its composition. In medicine, radiation therapy uses high-energy electromagnetic radiation to target and kill cancer cells. In telecommunications, electromagnetic waves are used for communication through technologies like radio, television, and cell phones.

5. How can we protect ourselves from the potential harmful effects of electromagnetic radiation?

While electromagnetic radiation has many beneficial applications, it can also have potentially harmful effects on living organisms. To protect ourselves, we can limit exposure to sources of radiation such as X-rays and UV rays from the sun. We can also use protective equipment like lead shielding when working with high-energy radiation. Additionally, understanding the effects of various types of radiation can help us develop safety guidelines and regulations to minimize exposure and potential harm.