Exploring Electric Potential of Lightning Clouds

In summary, lightning is created by opposite charges building up between clouds and the earth. By using a voltmeter with long leads, it is possible to measure the voltage between a cloud about to release lightning and the earth, as well as between a cloud and empty space. However, the voltage recorded may be 0 due to the high internal resistance of the voltmeter. This resistance needs to be extremely high because the current flowing through the atmosphere is usually very small, except during lightning strikes. Other methods, such as using an electroscope or a kite with conductive string, can also measure the electric fields in the atmosphere.
mrmojorising
Opposite charges are built up between lightning clouds and the earth, which creates a potential, which causes lightening.

Say you had a voltmeter that could handle infinite current and with leads hudnreds of meters long, and you stuck one lead onto a cloud which is about to create lightning and the other lead into the Earth -- i assume the voltmeter would read a large voltage.

Now say you stuck one lead into the cloud and the other lead into empty space -- would the voltmeter read 0 voltage or a large voltage? If it owuld read 0 voltage, why is that? The cloud contains charge, so it creates an electrci field againt which it takes work to move a charge, even into empty space some distance away from the cloud, so there should be a voltage recorded?

So if there is a voltage recorded between a cloud which is about to release lightning and empty air why is it that if i put one lead of a voltmeter on a positive terminal of a power supply and the other on a negative terminal i get a voltage, but not if i put one lead onthe positive temrinal and the other in air?

I mean the positive terminal is not only psoitive with trespect to the negative terminal, but also i assume its positive compsared to surrounding vacuum (or air)? I mean it would take work (which implies a voltage) to move a charge form the positive terminal to a point some distance away in a vacuum - just like for a charged cloud, would it not?

Engineering news on Phys.org

If the internal resistance of the voltmeter is high enough there will be a voltage. Even on a clear day you can measure a voltage. About 100V per meter.
The resistance of the voltmeter needs to be extremely high because the current flowing through the atmosphere is very small, except when lightning strikes. An electroscope with a long antenna attached to it might work.
Or maybe a kite with a conductive string attached to a key and a short piece of insulating string at the end to insulate the person from the key. But don't try this during a thunderstorm. It will also work when the sky is clear.

http://www.missioninstruments.com/pages/learning/elec_fields.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_electric_field_of_the_Earth

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Exploring Electric Potential of Lightning Clouds

1. What is the purpose of exploring the electric potential of lightning clouds?

The purpose of exploring the electric potential of lightning clouds is to better understand the mechanisms behind lightning formation and to improve our ability to predict and protect against lightning strikes. This research can also help us develop more efficient and sustainable ways of harnessing electricity from lightning.

2. How do scientists measure the electric potential of lightning clouds?

Scientists use a variety of instruments, such as lightning detection networks, electric field mills, and weather balloons equipped with sensors, to measure the electric potential of lightning clouds. These instruments can detect changes in the electric field and provide valuable data for researchers.

3. What factors affect the electric potential of lightning clouds?

The electric potential of lightning clouds can be influenced by various factors, including the size and shape of the cloud, the amount of water vapor and ice particles present, and the strength of updrafts and downdrafts within the cloud. The presence of charged particles, such as ions, can also play a role in the electric potential of a cloud.

4. How does the electric potential of lightning clouds contribute to severe weather events?

The electric potential of lightning clouds can contribute to the development of severe weather events, such as thunderstorms and tornadoes. As the electric potential increases, it can lead to the buildup of charge imbalances within the cloud, which can cause strong electrical discharges, high winds, and heavy precipitation.

5. What are the potential benefits of studying the electric potential of lightning clouds?

Studying the electric potential of lightning clouds can have many potential benefits, including improving our understanding of severe weather events, developing more accurate lightning prediction and warning systems, and finding new ways to harness clean and renewable energy from lightning. This research can also lead to advancements in atmospheric science and contribute to the overall knowledge of our planet's weather and climate systems.