Exploring Electric and Color Charge: What Do We Know?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of charge in quantum field theory and its relation to various properties such as conservation laws and symmetries. The topic of holons, a type of quasiparticle, is also mentioned. The discussion touches on the nature of charge as an intrinsic property of particles and the mechanisms behind its acquisition.
BiGyElLoWhAt
Gold Member
I've heard people saying things like charge isn't real, but the suceptibility to a force is definitely real. Whatever charge actually is, or rather, what causes it, we know that electrons have it and neutrons don't. Any references to papers or web pages or anything on this?

Thanks.

P.s. Electric charge, or color charge. preferably both =]

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of answer would you find satisfying? And in what context are you interested in?

In quantum field theory context: Charge is a quantum number. It is related to things like interaction strength, conservation laws, and such. Some kinds of charge are conserved (electric charge for example) and are related to symmetries (the gauge symmetry of QED for electric charge). Some kinds of charge are not conserved, and are related to broken symmetries (week charge and the broken SU(2) symmetry of electro-weak theory).

I'm less looking for the book keeping, and more in the context of what I actually just pulled up on google searching for unrelated things: the Holon. What is known about these quasiparticles? I've never seen these referenced before about 5 minutes ago.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I'm less looking for the book keeping, and more in the context of what I actually just pulled up on google searching for unrelated things: the Holon. What is known about these quasiparticles? I've never seen these referenced before about 5 minutes ago.

Well, yes. We of course knew exactly what you wanted. Sigh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holon_(physics)

Sorry my last post got deleted for speaking speculatively. Trying to avoid that. I appreciate the link, but wikipedia is normally the first place I go, and was when I first found the term holon.

When I created this thread earlier, I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking for, so apologies for not being clearer.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I'm less looking for the book keeping, and more in the context of what I actually just pulled up on google searching for unrelated things: the Holon. What is known about these quasiparticles?
Hmm, this seems self contradictory. Quasiparticles are just bookkeeping, so I don't see how you would be interested in them if you are not looking for book keeping.

Are they? I"m not familiar with quasiparticles

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
When I created this thread earlier, I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking for, so apologies for not being clearer.

I'm still not sure what your question is.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I've heard people saying things like charge isn't real, but the suceptibility to a force is definitely real. Whatever charge actually is, or rather, what causes it, we know that electrons have it and neutrons don't. Any references to papers or web pages or anything on this?

Thanks.

P.s. Electric charge, or color charge. preferably both =]

My understanding is that charge is simply an intrinsic property of subatomic particles, and there's really little more to it than that. Whether that's bookkeeping or not, I don't know.

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm still not sure what your question is.
Well take leptons for instance, specifically (as an example) electrons and neutrinos. Both considered fundamental, yet one contains this property, and another doesn't. How can charge be an intrinsic property if some "objects" or "things" display the property, while others don't? Is there anything on this? I found holon's, but apparently they're akin to virtual particles or something similar?

I'm curious as to whether or not there's a mechanism under which matter acquires this so called property "charge".

Related to Exploring Electric and Color Charge: What Do We Know?

What is electric and color charge?

Electric and color charge are fundamental properties of particles that determine how they interact with each other. Electric charge is responsible for interactions between particles through the electromagnetic force, while color charge is responsible for interactions between particles through the strong nuclear force.

How do we measure electric and color charge?

Electric charge is measured in units of coulombs, while color charge is measured in units of strong interaction strength. These charges can be measured using various experimental techniques, such as particle accelerators or scattering experiments.

What are the different types of electric and color charge?

There are two types of electric charge - positive and negative. Color charge, on the other hand, comes in three different types - red, green, and blue. These different types of color charge can combine to form neutral particles, such as protons and neutrons.

How do electric and color charge interact with each other?

Electric charge interacts with other electric charges through the electromagnetic force, which can either attract or repel each other. Color charge interacts with other color charges through the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for holding the nuclei of atoms together.

What are the applications of understanding electric and color charge?

Understanding electric and color charge is essential for many fields, such as particle physics, chemistry, and engineering. It allows us to understand and manipulate the fundamental forces that govern the universe and develop new technologies, such as particle accelerators and medical imaging devices.