Exploring Dirac Matrices in the Context of the Dirac Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of 4x4 matrices in the Dirac equation and the potential changes in the theory if different matrices are chosen. The possibility of using matrices with explicit time dependence is also explored. The speaker suggests using a more complicated transformation, and questions arise about the validity of the Dirac equation with these new matrices.
paweld
I wonder if I can chose any 4x4 matrices [tex]\gamma^\mu[/tex] which fullfil anticommutationn relations
[tex]\{\gamma^\mu,\gamma^\nu \}=2g^{\mu\nu} [/tex] as a matricies
in Dirac equation:
[tex]
i \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu \psi= m \psi
[/tex].
What changes in the theory if I chose different matricies?
(of course I have to consistently use this different matricies)
What if this matricies has explicit time dependence and I'm
looking for solutions evolving in time as [tex] \exp (-i\omega t) [/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
In the derivation by Dirac of his famous equation the "gamma's" are constant matrices. If you want to, you can pass the time dependency of the spinor wave functions onto the "gamma's" and keep the spinor functions depending on p/x only and not on time anymore.

Thanks for answer. I'm interested in slightly more complicated tansformation.
For example instead of traditional [tex]\gamma[/tex] matrices, let's chose the following:
[tex] \tilde{\gamma}^0=\cosh at \gamma^0 + \sinh at \gamma^1,
\tilde{\gamma}^1=\sinh at \gamma^0 + \cosh at \gamma^1 ,
\tilde{\gamma}^2=\gamma^2,\tilde{\gamma}^3=\gamma^3
[/tex].
Is it true that the Dirac equation is still
[tex] i\tilde{\gamma}^\mu \partial_\mu \psi = m\psi[/tex]
but I have to use this different matrices everywhere
(i.e. the coupling with electromagnetic filed would be [tex] A_\mu \psi^\dagger \tilde{\gamma}^\mu \psi[/tex])

If you want to make the gammas coordinate-dependent, I suspect you may have to change Dirac's equation to

[itex]i\partial_\mu (\gamma^\mu \psi) = m\psi[/itex]

However, this is a guess, not based on any rigorous derivation. Try deriving the equation from scratch to be sure.

Gamma matrices become coordinate dependent in GR.

Related to Exploring Dirac Matrices in the Context of the Dirac Equation

1. What is the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a mathematical formula developed by physicist Paul Dirac in 1928 to describe the behavior of fermions, which are subatomic particles with half-integer spin. It combines elements of special relativity and quantum mechanics to describe the motion and properties of these particles.

2. What are Dirac matrices?

Dirac matrices are a set of mathematical matrices used to represent the spin and other properties of particles in the Dirac equation. There are four matrices, each representing one component of spin, and they are essential for solving the equation and understanding the behavior of fermions.

3. How are Dirac matrices related to the Dirac equation?

The Dirac matrices are used in the Dirac equation to describe the behavior of fermions. The equation itself involves the multiplication of these matrices in order to calculate the energy and momentum of a particle. Without the use of Dirac matrices, the Dirac equation would not accurately describe the behavior of fermions.

4. What is the significance of exploring Dirac matrices in the context of the Dirac equation?

Exploring Dirac matrices in the context of the Dirac equation allows for a deeper understanding of the behavior of fermions and the principles of quantum mechanics. It also has practical applications in areas such as particle physics, nuclear physics, and quantum computing.

5. Are there any real-world applications for Dirac matrices and the Dirac equation?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for Dirac matrices and the Dirac equation. Some examples include predicting the behavior of subatomic particles in accelerators, understanding the properties of nuclear matter, and developing new technologies such as quantum computers and quantum cryptography.