Exploring Debate Over Intelligent Design & Evolution

In summary, the conversation revolves around the task of writing an essay on the topic of whether intelligent design should be taught in science classes as an alternative theory to evolution. The student is struggling to find a published debate on the issue and is seeking guidance. They are provided with a few articles, but ultimately decide to take the easy route and use the first article supporting each side they can find on Google. They also mention looking at the references on a Wikipedia article for more information.
Frozenoak

Homework Statement

Write an essay explaining opposing positions. I have selected from a list the issue of "Should intelligent design be taught in science classes as an alternative theory to evolution?"

Homework Equations

I discussed the paper with my professor and he said that "if I could find one" I could write my essay on a published debate of the issue.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have searched via Google for the key words Debate, Published, Written, Intelligent design, and Evolution. I haven't been able to find anything that looks like the statement/response type debate I was hoping for. I am here to see if someone can help guide me in the correct direction.

Regards,
dale

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I have access to my college databases which have tons of different articles and journals. Unfortunately I have no way to give you access to it but I can tell you where some were published so you can look in the archives. Here are a few articles, but you have to try and get them yourselves through the website archives.

'Intelligent design' about faith, not science" USA TODAY, December 7, 2005

Intelligent Design Might Be Meeting Its Maker" The New York Times, December 4, 2005

Debate on intelligent design becomes a clash of rights Those who want it taught cite free speech; opponents see wrongful religion use. Philadelphia Inquirer, November 2, 2005

Hope this helps.

While not exactly what I was looking for your suggestions certainly cements my suspicions that it would be hard to find a full debate published. I think the easiest and, more importantly, quickest thing for me to do is take the first article supporting each side I can find via Google. Thanks for the help but I think I will have to do the leg work myself on this. I am still open to directions towards a site that publishes debates but I am taking the quick/easy route on this paper. It is for English 101 after all.

Regards,
dale

Related to Exploring Debate Over Intelligent Design & Evolution

What is intelligent design?

Intelligent design is the belief that certain features of the universe and living organisms are best explained by an intelligent cause rather than natural processes.

What is evolution?

Evolution is the scientific theory that explains the diversity of life on Earth through the process of natural selection, genetic variation, and mutations over millions of years.

What is the debate between intelligent design and evolution?

The debate centers around whether or not intelligent design should be taught alongside evolution in schools as an alternative explanation for the origins of life. Proponents of intelligent design argue that it is a valid scientific theory, while critics argue that it is not based on empirical evidence and therefore should not be taught in a science classroom.

Is intelligent design a scientific theory?

Intelligent design is not considered a scientific theory by the majority of the scientific community. This is because it is not based on empirical evidence and cannot be tested through the scientific method.

Can intelligent design and evolution coexist?

Many people believe that intelligent design and evolution are not mutually exclusive and can coexist. They argue that a higher power or intelligent being could have guided the process of evolution. However, this is still a topic of debate and is not widely accepted in the scientific community.