Exploring Cosets of a Ring with Division Algorithm

In summary: This is the basic idea behind the multiplication in the quotient ring.In summary, the quotient ring R=Z_4[x]/((x^2+1)*Z_4[x]) has cosets of the form a*x+b+I, where I is an ideal generated by x^2+1. The multiplication between cosets is defined by (A+I)(B+I)=(AB)+1, where the relation x^2+1=0 exists. To find the product of two cosets, we use the division algorithm on the product of their representatives and reduce the result mod x^2+1. This is similar to how we would think about elements in the ring Z/4Z.
Stephen88
I'm trying to list the cosets of the following ring and describe the relations that hold between these cosets.
R=Z_4[x]/((x^2+1)*Z_4[x])
I'm using the division algorithm since x^2+1 is monic in the ring Z_4[x].Now for every f that belongs to Z_4[x] by the division algorithm
f=(x^2+1)q(x)+p(x)=>the cosets are of the the form...a*x+b+I where I is an ideal generated by x^2+1.
x^2+1=0 in the quotient=>a new ring where multiplication between cosets A+I and B+I is is defined by (A+I)(B+I)=(AB)+1 where the relation x^2+1=0 exists
Is is ok?[FONT=MathJax_Math][/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main][/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main][/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main][/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math][/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math][/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main][/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main][/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math][/FONT]

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Ring and cosest

StefanM said:
I'm trying to list the cosets of the following ring and describe the relations that hold between these cosets.
R=Z_4[x]/((x^2+1)*Z_4[x])
I'm using the division algorithm since x^2+1 is monic in the ring Z_4[x].Now for every f that belongs to Z_4[x] by the division algorithm
f=(x^2+1)q(x)+p(x)=>the cosets are of the the form...a*x+b+I where I is an ideal generated by x^2+1.
x^2+1=0 in the quotient=>a new ring where multiplication between cosets A+I and B+I is is defined by (A+I)(B+I)=(AB)+1 where the relation x^2+1=0 exists
Is is ok?

They way I would think about the elements of the quotient ring is much the same way that you would think about the elements of, say, $\mathbb{Z}/4\mathbb{Z}$. This is because they are "essentially" the same thing - you have the same division algorithm, etc.

So, every coset has a (unique!) representative of the form $ax+b$. So when you multiply $(A+I)(B+I)=AB+I$ then you do the division algorithm on $AB$ to get an element of the form $ax+b$ with $ax+b=AB\text{ mod }x^2+1$.

Does that make sense?

So I need to apply the division algorithm on (AB)+I...ok

StefanM said:
So I need to apply the division algorithm on (AB)+I...ok

Essentially, yes. For example, $(x+I)\cdot (x+1+I)=x^2+x+I=x-1+I=x+3+I$, as you know that $x^2=-1\text{ mod }I$ because $x^2+1\in I$

Yes, your approach using the division algorithm is correct. The cosets of R are of the form a*x+b+I, where I is the ideal generated by x^2+1. This means that each coset can be represented by a polynomial of degree 1 or less, where the coefficients are elements of Z_4.

The relation x^2+1=0 in the quotient ring means that any polynomial of degree 2 or higher can be reduced to a polynomial of degree 1 or less by dividing it by x^2+1. This is similar to how in the real numbers, any polynomial of degree n can be reduced to a polynomial of degree n-1 by dividing it by a root of the polynomial.

In the quotient ring, multiplication between cosets is defined by (A+I)(B+I)=(AB)+I, where the relation x^2+1=0 is taken into account. This means that when multiplying two cosets, we first multiply their representative polynomials, and then reduce the result by dividing it by x^2+1.

Overall, exploring the cosets of a ring using the division algorithm allows us to understand the structure and relations within the ring, and can be a useful tool in solving problems and proving theorems.

Related to Exploring Cosets of a Ring with Division Algorithm

1. What is the purpose of exploring cosets of a ring with division algorithm?

The purpose of exploring cosets of a ring with division algorithm is to understand the structure and properties of rings, which are mathematical objects that are important in abstract algebra. By exploring cosets, we can gain insights into the divisibility and factorization properties of elements in a ring.

2. How is the division algorithm used in exploring cosets of a ring?

The division algorithm is used to define and understand cosets of a ring. It allows us to partition the elements of a ring into subsets called cosets, which have important algebraic properties. By studying these cosets, we can better understand the structure of the ring and its elements.

3. What are the main properties of cosets of a ring?

The main properties of cosets of a ring include closure under addition and multiplication, meaning that the sum or product of two elements from the same coset will also be in the same coset. Cosets also have the same cardinality, meaning they have the same number of elements. Additionally, cosets are disjoint, meaning they do not share any elements.

4. How are cosets of a ring related to the concept of a quotient ring?

Cosets of a ring play a crucial role in the construction of quotient rings. A quotient ring is formed by taking the cosets of a ring with respect to a certain ideal. This allows us to define a new ring with its own properties and operations, while still retaining some of the original ring's structure.

5. Can cosets of a ring be used to solve equations and prove theorems?

Yes, cosets of a ring can be used to solve equations and prove theorems. By studying the properties of cosets, we can develop techniques for solving equations involving elements in a ring. Additionally, coset arguments are commonly used in proofs involving rings, as they allow us to simplify complex expressions and show relationships between elements.