Exploring Constant Volume and Pressure Processes for Enthalpy Calculation

In summary, the change in enthalpy equals the change in internal energy plus boundary work performed during the process.
jason.bourne
enthalpy is defined as

h = u + pv

so, dh = du + d (pv)

if the process is constant pressure,

dh = du + p dv (change in internal energy + boundary work )

during constant pressure process, if heat is added to the system, it increases its internal energy as well as it does the expansion boundary work. so the net heat added will increase the enthalpy of the system.

if the process is constant volume,

dh = du + v dp (what is this extra term v dp??).

during constant volume process, heat added will just raise the internal energy. so what happens to enthalpy ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It will equal the change in internal energy because there is no boundary work performed by the system.

thanks for the reply Skrambles !

there won't be any boundary work, agreed.

will internal energy change be equal to enthalpy change?

we know for some change in temperature dT,
du = cv dT and
dh = cp dT

and cp and cv are never same.

They are indeed equal for an incompressible substance. (k=1)

dh = cp dT applies only when pressure is constant.

du = cv dT applies only when volume is constant.

they are equal for incompressible fluids such as water - agreed.

what happens when we consider a gas, assuming compressibility condition holds, in a constant volume process?

"du = cv dT applies only when volume is constant"

so does that mean we can't define change in enthalpy during constant volume process?

this is bit confusing coz the thermodynamics textbooks suggests, property relations can be used irrespective of the processes, reversible or irreversible coz they are state variables and don't depend on the path of integration.

jason.bourne said:
so does that mean we can't define change in enthalpy during constant volume process?

No, it just means that you can't use dh = cp dT because of the way cp is defined.

If you can define the state of the system, then you can define its enthalpy because, like you said, it is a state variable.

The change in enthalpy equals the change in internal energy plus boundary work performed during the process. If there is no boundary work, then dh = du and du = cv dT.

You can also use the First Law to get ΔQ = ΔU.

Don't feel bad about getting confused, I struggled for a while with the same concept when I took thermo. I went into a test thinking I could use cp and cv for every process, so I was very surprised when I saw my grade.

hahaa...

alright! got it.

thanks for helping me out !
:))

Related to Exploring Constant Volume and Pressure Processes for Enthalpy Calculation

1. What is a constant volume process?

A constant volume process is a thermodynamic process in which the volume of a system remains constant while energy is transferred into or out of the system. This means that the work done by or on the system is equal to zero.

2. What is the equation for a constant volume process?

The equation for a constant volume process is Q = ΔU, where Q is the heat added to the system and ΔU is the change in internal energy of the system.

3. How is a constant volume process different from a constant pressure process?

In a constant volume process, the volume of the system remains constant, while in a constant pressure process, the pressure of the system remains constant. This means that the work done in a constant volume process is equal to zero, while work is done in a constant pressure process.

4. What are some examples of constant volume processes?

Some examples of constant volume processes include explosions in a sealed container, combustion reactions in an engine, and some types of chemical reactions in a closed vessel.

5. How is the first law of thermodynamics applied in a constant volume process?

The first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, is applied in a constant volume process by showing that the change in internal energy of the system is equal to the heat added to the system. This can be expressed as ΔU = Q - W, where W is the work done by the system. Since W = 0 in a constant volume process, this simplifies to ΔU = Q.