Exploring Complex Exponentials and Multiplication

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between e^jwt and cos(wt)+jsin(wt), with j=1 and an angle of 90 degrees. It is explained that multiplying any function by j means multiplying the magnitude by 1 and changing the phase by 90 degrees. However, this rule of thumb does not work for sine functions, which are composed of two parts with different phases. The conversation also clarifies that j is the square root of -1, commonly denoted as "i" in mathematics but "j" in engineering.
palgun kumar
it is given that e^jwt=cos(wt)+jsin(wt)...
but j=1 with angle 90 degrees..now by multiplying any function by j means multiplying the magnitude by 1 and phase change of 90 degree...
so,
jsin(wt)=sin(wt)*1 with angle 90 degrees
= sin(wt+90)
=cos(wt)
so can we write e^jwt=cos(wt)+cos(wt)
=2cos(wt)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
j is not 1. It is the square root of -1.

square root of -1 is 1 with angle of 90 degrees or 1 with angle of -90 degrees

palgun kumar said:
now by multiplying any function by j means multiplying the magnitude by 1 and phase change of 90 degree...
You could see it this way, if you like, but then you should be aware that sin(x) is composed of two parts with different phases! In particular

[tex]\sin(x)=\frac12\left(e^{i(x-\frac{\pi}{2})}+e^{i(-x+\frac{\pi}{2})}\right)[/tex]
Note the minus sign in the second term.

Now if you advances both phases you get
[tex]i\sin(x)=\frac12\left(e^{ix}+e^{i(-x+\pi)}\right)[/tex]

Which is not
[tex]\sin(x+\frac{\pi}{2})=\frac12\left(e^{ix}+e^{-ix}\right)[/tex]

So this rule of thumb rule you mention isn't really working.

The explanation is: Advancing phases in the sense you have learned is not the same as multiplying with complex numbers! That only works for pure exponentials.

napyan said:
j=square(-1)

No it's the square root of (-1).

Usually it's given the symbol "i" but in Engineering it's quite common to use the symbol "j" instead. The reason is because in Electrical Engineering it's very often used in AC circuit analysis where the symbol "i" is already used to denote electrical current.

Related to Exploring Complex Exponentials and Multiplication

1. What are complex exponentials?

Complex exponentials are mathematical expressions in the form of eix, where e is the base of the natural logarithm and x is a complex number. They can also be written in polar form as eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where i is the imaginary unit and cos(x) and sin(x) are trigonometric functions.

2. How are complex exponentials used in multiplication?

Complex exponentials are used in multiplication to simplify calculations involving complex numbers. When multiplying two complex numbers, the magnitude of the resulting number is the product of the two magnitudes, and the angle of the resulting number is the sum of the two angles. This can be expressed using complex exponentials as eix * eiy = ei(x+y).

3. What is the relationship between complex exponentials and the unit circle?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin on a complex plane. The points on the unit circle can be represented using complex numbers in polar form, where the angle is equal to the argument of the complex number. Complex exponentials are also in polar form, making them useful in representing points on the unit circle and understanding their relationships.

4. How are complex exponentials used in electrical engineering?

Complex exponentials are commonly used in electrical engineering to represent sinusoidal signals and circuits. They provide a way to analyze and solve problems involving alternating current (AC) circuits, as the behavior of AC circuits is described by sinusoidal functions. Complex exponentials are also used in the study of electromagnetic waves and signal processing.

5. How do complex exponentials relate to Euler's formula?

Euler's formula, eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x), is a special case of the polar form of complex exponentials. It relates complex numbers to trigonometric functions, providing a useful tool for solving problems involving complex numbers. Euler's formula also has many applications in various fields of science and engineering, such as Fourier analysis and quantum mechanics.