Exploring CCFL Inverters: Risks of Short Circuits & Current Limitation

• Thread starter hobbs125
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inverter
In summary: I want to use a ccfl inverter because it is designed to put out a high voltage then drop it to a low voltage so the load doesn't consume too much power.
hobbs125
1. When the CCFL tube lights up does it become a short circuit?

2. Are all CCFL inverters short circuit current limited?

Thanks for the help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
They aren't a short circuit but the resistance certainly goes down when lit (they're practically an open circuit when dark). How much the resistance drops depends on the geometry of the light, gases used, ambient temperature, and drive voltage and duty cycle. Some CCFL driver circuits that drive small (low power) devices are not necessarily designed for efficiency, but modern circuits that drive higher power CCFL lights can be quite efficient, like the circuit that drives the backlight on a modern LCD computer screen. I doubt there are many that have good short circuit protection since many CCFL lights are unlikely to short. I wouldn't rely on it!

The ccfl tube typically requires a fairly high voltage, i.e. a thousand volts, to become ionized. Afterwards, it operates at some few hundreds of volts.
To achieve this operation efficiently, the inverters are designed to have an open circuit voltage sufficient to "fire" the tube. Then, a series impedance, typically a small, high voltage capacitor, limits the operating current.
Since the capacitor is a reactive load (not a resistor), it doesn't consume much power in serving it's function, and the circuit remains efficient.

Mike

hobbs125 said:
1. When the CCFL tube lights up does it become a short circuit?

2. Are all CCFL inverters short circuit current limited?

Thanks for the help!

Hi hobbs,

What is the context of the question?

I am wanting to use a ccfl inverter for something other than a ccfl which has a constant resistance of about 50 ohms. I'm not sure if the ccfl inverter will work with such a low impedance load. I know the inverter puts out a higher voltage at first then it drops. I'm just not sure if the inverter will work when it starts out with a low impedance load?

Last edited:
hobbs125 said:
I am wanting to use a ccfl inverter for something other than a ccfl which has a constant resistance of about 50 ohms. I'm not sure if the ccfl inverter will work with such a low impedance load. I know the inverter puts out a higher voltage at first then it drops. I'm just not sure if the inverter will work when it starts out with a low impedance load?

What is the load? What voltage do you want to put across the load? Why do you want to use a CCFL inverter?

The load is a resistive load, no reactance, 50 ohms. I want a high voltage across it of at least 500v.

Related to Exploring CCFL Inverters: Risks of Short Circuits & Current Limitation

1. What is a CCFL inverter?

A CCFL inverter, or cold cathode fluorescent lamp inverter, is an electronic device that converts direct current (DC) power into alternating current (AC) power to power cold cathode fluorescent lamps (CCFLs). CCFLs are commonly used as backlights in LCD displays.

2. How does a CCFL inverter work?

A CCFL inverter works by converting the low voltage and high frequency from a DC source into the high voltage and low frequency needed to power a CCFL. It typically uses a high voltage transformer, oscillator circuit, and feedback circuit to regulate the output.

3. What are the common applications of CCFL inverters?

CCFL inverters are commonly used in LCD displays, such as computer monitors, televisions, and mobile devices. They are also used in automotive lighting, neon signs, and other lighting applications.

4. What are the advantages of using a CCFL inverter?

CCFL inverters provide a high quality and stable power supply for CCFLs, resulting in bright and consistent lighting. They are also energy efficient and have a longer lifespan compared to traditional incandescent lights.

5. What are the potential issues with CCFL inverters?

One potential issue with CCFL inverters is their sensitivity to input voltage and frequency, which can affect the brightness and stability of the CCFL. They also generate a high voltage, which can be a safety hazard if not handled properly.