Exploring Blue Light: The Mystery of a Low-Wavelength Star

In summary, a star with a peak wavelength of 58nm and a temperature of 50,000K appears blue because although the peak wavelength falls in the UV range, there is still a significant amount of radiation in the visible range. This is due to the distribution of frequencies in black body radiation. The curve for a 50,000K star would slope up through the visible range, resulting in a blue appearance. This is confirmed by the fact that other hot, blue stars have a similar temperature and appearance.
PhysKid45
For my astronomy class we were asked a question about a star that is 50,000K and it's peak wavelength. This was easy enough to find using Wein's law. The answer, however, is well below a human's threshold for visible light and we theoretically would not be able to see the star, but apparently it appears blue.

I am just wondering why something with such a low wavelength, 58nm, would appear blue when we should not even be able to see it?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
We don't see the peak wavelength, as 58 nm is in the UV range. We are seeing the portion of the spectrum that falls in the blue area of the visible range. While the peak may be at 58 nm, there is still lots and lots of radiation at all the frequencies below (and some above) the peak.

Likes Comeback City and stoomart
For a given temperature, black body radiation is an entire distribution of frequencies with different spectral energy densities. So there is some radiation within the visible range. (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wien's_displacement_law )

Likes Dyrakean
I feel like I mostly understand. Essentially, the most waves happen at the peak, but there are other waves outside of that? Some of those waves are within the light spectrum, and according to the temperature of the star can appear blue - which has nothing to do with peak wavelength the problem just made them seem connected in how it was phrased?
This is the graph given with the problem, and seeing as how the star is 50,000K there isn't a curve. I am assuming, however, that the curve would follow a similar pattern to the 6000K and because the frequency is on the order of magnitude of about 10^15, the light would appear blue.

I just had a Eureka moment that I'm hoping someone can confirm for me.
upload_2017-2-20_21-44-58.png

Right. From your figure, as the temperature goes up there is more and more intensity within the visible range. At 50,000K there would be more blue light for us to see than at 6,000K. And the 50,000K curve would slope up through the visible range, so most of the light from it would be blue.

Likes stoomart
PhysKid45 said:
I feel like I mostly understand. Essentially, the most waves happen at the peak, but there are other waves outside of that? Some of those waves are within the light spectrum, and according to the temperature of the star can appear blue - which has nothing to do with peak wavelength the problem just made them seem connected in how it was phrased?
This is the graph given with the problem, and seeing as how the star is 50,000K there isn't a curve. I am assuming, however, that the curve would follow a similar pattern to the 6000K and because the frequency is on the order of magnitude of about 10^15, the light would appear blue.
View attachment 113495
Look at how the curves for 300 K, 1000 K, 3000 K and 6000 K have the same shape. The curves for higher temperature are higher and have their peak at higher frequency, but the shape is the same. So you can figure out what the shape of a curve for any other temperature should be.
Now, notice how the low frequency ends of all curves are practically straight lines - same slope for all temperatures and frequencies far from the peak.
If you want to know what the visible spectrum of say, 60 000 K black body looks like, then note how the visible spectrum is slightly under 10ˇ15 Hz. Look at how the curve for 6000 K looks like for slightly under 10ˇ14 Hz.
That´s already the low frequency, practically straight line portion of the curve.
Meaning that all black bodies whose peak frequency is well into ultraviolet have the same visual spectrum - a certain slope increasing blueward.
It looks blue.

IIRC there are quite a number of hot, blue stars known. Zeta Puppis, for example, has temperature of ~40000K.

And yet, the photos of these objects... I would not describe them as "blue" (as I would blue paint or blue laser pointer's color). They are more like "blue-white", since they also emit a lot of energy in the rest of visible spectrum.

Likes sophiecentaur
nikkkom said:
IIRC there are quite a number of hot, blue stars known. Zeta Puppis, for example, has temperature of ~40000K.

And yet, the photos of these objects... I would not describe them as "blue" (as I would blue paint or blue laser pointer's color). They are more like "blue-white", since they also emit a lot of energy in the rest of visible spectrum.
Blueish - like the sky. It has all visible wavelengths in varying proportions.

Related to Exploring Blue Light: The Mystery of a Low-Wavelength Star

What is blue light?

Blue light is a type of visible light that has a short wavelength and high energy. It is part of the electromagnetic spectrum and is found in natural sunlight as well as in artificial light sources such as digital screens and LED lights.

Is blue light harmful?

Studies have shown that exposure to blue light can cause eye strain, headaches, and disrupt our sleep patterns. However, the amount of blue light emitted from digital screens is relatively low and is not considered harmful in normal daily use.

Can blue light cause eye damage?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that blue light exposure from digital screens can cause permanent damage to the eyes. However, long-term exposure to blue light from the sun can potentially contribute to age-related macular degeneration.

How can I protect myself from blue light?

There are several ways to protect yourself from blue light, such as reducing your screen time, taking regular breaks, and using blue light filters or glasses. It is also important to limit your exposure to blue light from the sun by wearing sunglasses and avoiding direct sunlight during peak hours.

Does blue light affect our sleep?

Yes, exposure to blue light in the evening can suppress the production of melatonin, a hormone that helps regulate our sleep-wake cycle. This can make it harder to fall asleep and negatively impact the quality of our sleep. It is recommended to avoid using screens at least an hour before bedtime to promote better sleep.