Exploring Basic Set Theory: Cardinalities and Operations with Set Elements

In summary, we discussed the cardinalities of sets, specifically in regards to sets with elements that are also sets. We also clarified the concept of set difference and how it applies to sets with elements that are also sets. The key point is that only the "top-level" elements are considered real elements, while elements of elements (such as {Ø} in set Y) are not.
simwun
HI there,

Just getting into set theory just had a few questions/clarifications I guess you could call it.

if X = {Ø, a} Y={{Ø}, a} and Z = {a, {a}, {Ø}}

So i understand X has 2 elements along with Y and Z has 3.
I know what the cardinalities are of basic sets like {2, 3, 4, 5} etc but how do they apply to sets such as the above?

On top of this if U = Z - X

thats {a, {a}, {
Ø}} - {Ø, a} does U = {{a}}? I am just unsure when there is a set as an element such as {Ø} do the same rules apply?

Cheers in advance,

Sim

Physics news on Phys.org
simwun said:
if X = {Ø, a} Y={{Ø}, a} and Z = {a, {a}, {Ø}}

So i understand X has 2 elements along with Y and Z has 3.
You are right about X and Z. The set Y has 2 elements: {Ø} and a.

simwun said:
On top of this if U = Z - X

thats {a, {a}, {Ø}} - {Ø, a} does U = {{a}}?
The first element a of Z is also an element of X, so it does not belong to Z - X. Next, {a} and {Ø} are not elements of X, so they belong to Z - X.

The idea is: only the "top-level" elements are real elements. E.g.,
{Ø} ∈ {a, {a}, {Ø}}, but Ø ∉ {a, {a}, {Ø}}.

Related to Exploring Basic Set Theory: Cardinalities and Operations with Set Elements

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It provides a foundation for understanding the concepts of counting, logic, and infinity.

2. What are the basic elements of a set?

The basic elements of a set are the objects or elements that make up the set. These elements can be anything, such as numbers, letters, or even other sets.

3. How are sets represented in set theory?

Sets can be represented in various ways, but the most common notation is using curly braces to enclose the elements of the set. For example, the set of even numbers can be represented as {2, 4, 6, 8, ...}.

4. What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set is the number of elements in the set. It is denoted by the symbol |A|, where A is the set. For example, if A = {1, 2, 3}, then |A| = 3.

5. How are sets related to other mathematical concepts?

Sets are closely related to other mathematical concepts, such as functions, relations, and logic. Sets can also be used to define other mathematical structures, such as groups, rings, and fields.