Exploring Attitudes Toward Country Music Among Young People

• Music
  • Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music Young
In summary, many people my age don't like country music because it is not "new" enough. They want something that is "fresh" and "new" all the time.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
Why do so many people my age express such a dislike for country music? It's excellent music, in my opinion, yet I've noticed that saying I like country has at times earned me a badge of dislike.

Science news on Phys.org
It's better if you play it backwards.

That way, all the broken hearts get mended etc, and everybody lives happily ever [STRIKE]after[/STRIKE] before. :smile:

You should try "Some People Change". Excellent song by Montgomery Gentry where everything ends happily.

it just all sounds the same. country is the polka of pop music.

The reasons vary, but all types of music are disliked by someone.

Some country music is fine. Some is really schmaltzy pop with accents and cowboy hats. There is a whole world of crap in between good and horrible.

I grew up with only one radio station and it was country so I was forced to like it! I still listen to it though, some of it is really good, some is crap...just like any genre.

scorpa said:
I grew up with only one radio station and it was country so I was forced to like it! I still listen to it though, some of it is really good, some is crap...just like any genre.
Sad! As a kid I had an AM radio so that when the sun went down I could listen to radio stations that were far away. I had Boston and Albany for pop and rock, and Buffalo for Motown. I used to ride to the top of a large hill locally with my grand-uncle so we could listen to country on Wheeling West Virginia. He was a disabled taxi-owner (the only taxi in town) and he'd buy me a Coke and buy himself a couple of Dawsons, and we'd listen to Grand Ole Oprey, Porter Wagoner, and other shows while discussing music. Nice old guy. He sold his house when I was about 7-8 years old and moved into an apartment. He gave my mother his console record-player and albums, which gave me a library of music that no other kids had. I had access to a decent player, and albums from the Ink Spots, Mills Brothers, Johnny Cash, and many others that were rarely played on AM radio. That was huge.

Duke Ellington said, "There's only two kinds of music--good and bad!" I think that that judgment applies to every genre of music; including country, rock, and classical.

Basically, if the rhythm is monotonous, the melody predictable, and the lyrics banal; then the music is bad music. This is especially true when the lyrics are sung without what jazz and blues musicians call "soul". I can't define it, but I know it when I hear it.

A lot of jazz musicians who were contemporary with Hank Williams liked his performances even though they disliked country music in general. They felt he had "soul".

klimatos said:
A lot of jazz musicians who were contemporary with Hank Williams liked his performances even though they disliked country music in general. They felt he had "soul".
Hank Williams was singing white cracker blues, and was damned good at it. Elvis was another artist that was marketed as "new" when he repackaged black music and spruced it up. Who originally performed "Hound Dog"? A black woman, who performed it to a T. Who wrote "Blue Suede Shoes"? A white performer who was tapping the interest in "race music" and was upstaged by the Elvis surge. Look them up if you are interested in music. Some of these songs could never be played on traditional radio stations unless they were "sanitized" by being released by white performers on labels that did not feature black artists.

turbo-1 said:
Hank Williams was singing white cracker blues, and was damned good at it. Elvis was another artist that was marketed as "new" when he repackaged black music and spruced it up. Who originally performed "Hound Dog"? A black woman, who performed it to a T. Who wrote "Blue Suede Shoes"? A white performer who was tapping the interest in "race music" and was upstaged by the Elvis surge. Look them up if you are interested in music. Some of these songs could never be played on traditional radio stations unless they were "sanitized" by being released by white performers on labels that did not feature black artists.

I have “Big Mama” Thornton doing “Hound Dog” and I also have Carl Perkins doing “Blue Suede Shoes”.

If you want to hear suggestive lyrics, the old “race” records are hard to beat. Lend an ear to Bessie Smith’s “Empty Bed Blues” or “Baby Doll”. I believe the latter of the two was recorded acoustically on a wind-up turntable--no microphone. It's still a swinging number.

I don't like contemporary country at all. It's absolutely revolting to me.

Classic country and bluegrass are where it's at. Contemporary country is just country flavored pop music.

Pythagorean said:
I don't like contemporary country at all. It's absolutely revolting to me.

Classic country and bluegrass are where it's at. Contemporary country is just country flavored pop music.

Totally agree! I :heart: bluegrass!

I don't know if technically Eagles classifies as country but I love Midnight Flyer, yee haw!

Pop country is awful. Bluegrass is a completely different genre.

Get the Allison Krause and Union Station live double-CD! Their interpretation of traditional bluegrass and their original numbers are wonderful. And they NEVER get any airplay on local country stations. All we get in Maine is schmalzy country pop. Listening to country radio around here would convince you that all country music is crap, if you had no outside references.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-wJNpWgss8
Words and music by Willie Nelson, performed by Patsy Cline. Go ahead, dislike it.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Words and music by Willie Nelson, performed by Patsy Cline. Go ahead, dislike it.

That's great, Jimmy. Here's some old stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHKvRNK6KYQ&NR=1

My theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ5ob9B9yD4

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
My theme song.

:smile: :cry:

lisab said:
:smile: :cry:
My doctor and I sing this together, in rounds, I sing a line, he sings a line.

Evo said:
My doctor and I sing this together, in rounds, I sing a line, he sings a line.

ain't nobody that can sing like me :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqFmNUz7WhY

I agree with you.This is really good music.And I think terri clark is the frist female star in this music..

Related to Exploring Attitudes Toward Country Music Among Young People

1. What is the purpose of exploring attitudes toward country music among young people?

The purpose of this research is to gain a better understanding of how young people perceive and engage with country music. This can help inform the music industry and artists on how to better appeal to this demographic, as well as provide insight into the cultural and social factors that influence attitudes toward country music.

2. How will the attitudes of young people toward country music be measured?

Attitudes will be measured through surveys and interviews that ask participants about their preferences, behaviors, and beliefs regarding country music. These methods can also be used to gather data on demographic information, such as age, gender, and location, to better understand how these factors may impact attitudes.

3. What are some potential factors that may influence attitudes toward country music among young people?

Some potential factors that may influence attitudes toward country music among young people include family background, cultural and regional identity, exposure to various genres of music, and personal experiences and preferences. Other factors such as peer influence, media representation, and social norms may also play a role.

4. What are some possible outcomes of this research?

Possible outcomes of this research could include identifying trends and patterns in attitudes toward country music among young people, highlighting any differences or similarities among different demographic groups, and providing insight into potential strategies for promoting and marketing country music to this demographic. Additionally, this research could contribute to a better understanding of the role of music in shaping cultural and social identities among young people.

5. How can this research be beneficial to the music industry?

This research can be beneficial to the music industry by providing valuable insights into the preferences and behaviors of a key demographic. This can help industry professionals make informed decisions about marketing and promoting country music to young people, as well as potentially identifying new opportunities for growth and expansion. Additionally, understanding the attitudes of young people toward country music can help the industry stay relevant and connected to this demographic.