Exploring Anomalous Correlations in Entangled Photons: A Historical Perspective

• Thread starter jed clampett
  • Start date
In summary, the discussion revolves around the correlation between detection events of entangled photons when filtered through aligned polarizers. While the quantum prediction is for a 100% correlation, the observed statistics for product states only show a maximum of 75% correlation. This discrepancy raises the question of when these anomalous correlations for entangled states were first observed experimentally. The conversation also includes references to calculations and interpretations of this phenomenon.
jed clampett
For a properly prepared entangled state of photons, we expect 100% correlation between detection events when filtered through aligned polarizers. I’m wondering when this was first observed experimentally.

It’s not what you’d expect for ordinary photons. If two photons are prepared in the same polarization state, and fired at a random polarizer, the results are a little different. If I’ve calculated correctly, there’s a 37.5% chance they both get through, a 37.5% chance neither gets through, and a 25% chance that one or the other gets through - a 75% probability of coincidence detection. I think that gives you a correlation of 50%. It’s definitely not 100%.

So I wonder when these anomalous correlations for the entangled state were first observed? This topic came up tangentially in another discussion so I thought I should start a new thread for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good question. The 100% correlation is the quantum prediction for Entangled State statistics. This is calculated a bit different than you might expect, although it reduces to cos^2(theta). I will try to lay that out.

The numbers you mention are what is called Product State statistics. Generally this is .25+(cos^2(theta)/2) and ranges from a minimum of 25% to a max of 75%. As you might guess, the Product State statistics are more properly with a Local Realistic interpretation in which the photons (of a pair) have a single identical but unknown polarization. So this is like an extension to the usual classical wave interpretation. Of course, this prediction does not agree with observation.

For the QM calculation, you may benefit from this which lays it out:

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0205171

See (1), (2), (3) although this does not show as clear as I might hope how it reduces to cos^2(theta).

Related to Exploring Anomalous Correlations in Entangled Photons: A Historical Perspective

1. What is meant by "anomalous correlations" in the context of entangled photons?

Anomalous correlations refer to a phenomenon where two or more entangled particles exhibit a strong correlation in their properties, such as their spin or polarization, even when they are separated by large distances. This correlation cannot be explained by classical physics and is one of the key features of quantum entanglement.

2. Why is exploring anomalous correlations in entangled photons important?

Studying anomalous correlations in entangled photons can provide insights into the fundamental nature of quantum mechanics and the behavior of particles at the smallest scales. It also has potential applications in quantum communication and computing, as entangled photons can be used to securely transmit information over long distances.

3. How does a historical perspective enhance our understanding of entangled photons?

A historical perspective allows us to trace the development of ideas and experiments related to entangled photons, providing context for current research and helping us to identify key discoveries and breakthroughs. It also allows us to see how our understanding of entanglement has evolved over time.

4. What are some notable historical experiments related to entangled photons?

One notable experiment is the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen (EPR) paradox, proposed in 1935, which challenged the concept of local realism and sparked debates about the interpretation of quantum mechanics. Another important experiment is the Aspect experiment in 1982, which provided strong evidence for the existence of entanglement and disproved local hidden variable theories.

5. What are some current research directions in exploring anomalous correlations in entangled photons?

Some current research directions include investigating the use of entangled photons in quantum communication and cryptography, exploring the potential of entanglement for quantum computing, and studying the fundamental properties of entanglement through experiments with larger numbers of particles and longer distances between them.