Exploring Acoustics & Computer Engineering: A New Path?

In summary, the speaker is a student seeking advice on what to study. They initially considered Aerospace Engineering, but are now leaning towards Computer Engineering. They are also interested in audio and acoustics, and have found a Master's program in Acoustics Engineering that they may pursue in the future. However, they are currently looking for a way to incorporate acoustics into their chosen field of Computer Engineering, possibly through programming or electronics courses. They also inquire about the possibility of applying Computer Engineering to other subjects like physics or astrophysics.
Guitar11
Hello everyone, well this is my first post and i hope someone could help me
I'm starting choosing what to study now and at first i choose Aerospace Engineering, but now I'm towards to Computer Engineering. Also I'm really interested on audio and acoustics. I saw an university that have Acoustics Engineering as a Master programme that also I'm interested but maybe in the future.
But right now i want to choose something that can relate to Acoustics, so my question is how can i relate Acoustics on Computer Engineering? Is there any way i can apply programming, electronics or any subject form CE (that's some of the courses that the programme has) on Acoustics?

Also maybe off-topic but, CE also could be applied on physics subjects like astrophysics?

Thanks in Advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help?

Related to Exploring Acoustics & Computer Engineering: A New Path?

1. What is the purpose of exploring acoustics and computer engineering?

The purpose of exploring acoustics and computer engineering is to understand the principles of sound and how it can be manipulated and controlled using computer technology. This field combines the study of acoustics, which focuses on the production, transmission, and reception of sound, with computer engineering, which deals with the design and development of computer systems and technology.

2. How does acoustics play a role in computer engineering?

Acoustics plays a crucial role in computer engineering by providing a way to transmit and receive information through sound waves. Acoustic signals can be converted into electrical signals and processed by computer systems, allowing for various applications such as speech recognition, audio recording and playback, and noise cancellation.

3. What are some potential applications of acoustics and computer engineering?

The potential applications of acoustics and computer engineering are vast and varied. Some examples include improving sound quality in music and movie production, developing speech recognition technology for virtual assistants and smart devices, designing noise-cancelling headphones, and creating advanced medical imaging techniques using ultrasound technology.

4. What skills are required to pursue a career in acoustics and computer engineering?

A career in acoustics and computer engineering requires a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Knowledge of signal processing, programming languages, and digital signal processing is also essential. Additionally, good problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and creativity are valuable traits in this field.

5. What are some current research topics in the field of acoustics and computer engineering?

Some current research topics in acoustics and computer engineering include developing advanced noise reduction algorithms, improving speech recognition accuracy in noisy environments, exploring the potential of using sound waves for wireless communication, and creating more efficient compression techniques for digital audio files.