Exploring Absolute Zero: What Happens When We Reach It?

In summary, reaching absolute zero causes changes in the properties of matter, resulting in a new form of matter called a Bose-Einstein condensate. This includes forms like superfluids and quantized vortices. Atoms are held together by electrical attraction between their negative electrons and positive nucleus, which is not affected by low temperatures. Absolute zero is not physically attainable, but approaching it can lead to new phenomena.
SaudAlt
i am in the 9nth grade and i am intrigued by the idea of Absolute zero and the phenomenas, my question is what will happen if we reach absolute zero? i know that molecules slow down until they stop, but i don't understand one thing, what is keeping the atoms together, isn't it energy. is there energy within the atom? , what will happen if it losses that energy wouldn't it loss its properties? and if it does, what will it be called by then, because it wouldn't be an atom no more?.

Physics news on Phys.org
Atoms are held together in molecules by the electrical attraction between the negative electrons and the positive nucleus.
This isn't affected by low temperatures, at high temperatures molecules can break apart into individual atoms because their motion is enough to break these bonds.

Absolute zero only really describes the motion of atoms and molecules in a gas - and even then this is an simple picture

I'd start by reading here for a basic understanding: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_zero

As far as I'm aware, absolute zero doesn't exist as a possible temperature to attain - you physically can't reach it.

As you approach absolute zero, there are changes in the properties of matter. Its called a Bose–Einstein condensate. Einstein demonstrated that cooling bosonic atoms to a very low temperature would cause them to fall (or "condense") into the lowest accessible quantum state, resulting in a new form of matter. This includes forms like superfluids and phenomenon including quantized vortices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose–Einstein_condensate

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the concept of Absolute Zero. It is a fascinating topic and one that has puzzled scientists for centuries.

To answer your question, let's first understand what Absolute Zero is. Absolute Zero is the lowest possible temperature that can be achieved, at which point all molecular motion stops. This temperature is equal to 0 Kelvin or -273.15 degrees Celsius.

At this temperature, all atoms and molecules would have the least amount of energy possible, and therefore, they would not be able to vibrate or move. This would result in the loss of all thermal energy, and the atoms would come to a complete stop.

Now, to address your question about what keeps the atoms together at Absolute Zero, the answer lies in the fundamental forces of nature. Atoms are held together by strong nuclear forces, which are much stronger than any other force. These forces are responsible for keeping the positively charged protons and neutral neutrons together in the nucleus of an atom. These forces do not require energy to hold the atom together; they are a fundamental property of matter.

So, at Absolute Zero, the atoms would still be held together by these strong nuclear forces, and they would not lose their properties. However, it is important to note that reaching Absolute Zero is theoretically impossible as it would require an infinite amount of energy to remove all thermal energy from a system.

In summary, if we were to reach Absolute Zero, the atoms would come to a complete stop, but they would still be held together by fundamental forces. This state is known as a Bose-Einstein condensate, which is a unique state of matter that exhibits quantum properties. It is an exciting area of research for scientists, and we are still learning more about it.

I hope this helps answer your question. Keep exploring and asking questions, and who knows, maybe one day you will be the one to unlock the mysteries of Absolute Zero.

Best of luck in your studies,

Related to Exploring Absolute Zero: What Happens When We Reach It?

What is absolute zero?

Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature that can be reached, at which point all molecular motion ceases.

Why is it important to explore absolute zero?

Exploring absolute zero can help us better understand the properties of matter and how it behaves at extremely low temperatures. It also has practical applications in fields such as cryogenics and superconductivity.

What happens to matter at absolute zero?

At absolute zero, matter becomes highly ordered and its atoms and molecules stop moving. This causes a decrease in pressure, volume, and energy.

Can we ever reach absolute zero?

It is theoretically possible to reach absolute zero, but it is not possible to achieve it in practice. As an object approaches absolute zero, the energy required to further decrease its temperature becomes infinitely large. Additionally, quantum mechanics dictates that there will always be some residual energy in a system, preventing it from reaching absolute zero.

What are some potential applications of reaching absolute zero?

Reaching absolute zero has potential applications in fields such as quantum computing, where extremely low temperatures are necessary to maintain the delicate state of quantum bits. It can also be used in the production of superconductors, which have various industrial and technological uses.