Exploring a Degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology

In summary, the speaker is considering pursuing Mechanical Engineering Technology (MET) for its practicality, but also wants to be able to design their own projects. They are unsure if they should just pursue a degree in Mechanical Engineering (ME) or if they can study MET for 4 years and then switch to ME for a shorter completion time. The general consensus among others in the conversation is that ME is the better option and pursuing a degree in MET may limit future opportunities.
kev.thomson96
I think I'm kind of geared more towards Mechanical Engineering Technology because of it's practicality, but I also want to make my own designs, which isn't really taught in MET, where you get to do other people's designs.

But for some reason I don't want to do just ME or MET. So I've 2 questions for everybody on this forum:

Is it possible for someone to study MET for 4 years, then begin studying bachelor of ME and finish it earlier than normal(an year or two earlier), because the degrees' courses are somewhat similar?

Or can one get a bachelor's in MET and the study a major in ME, or vice-versa?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just get your ME and be done with it. Half measures merely increase your chance of failure.

Agreed. Based on questions we are getting, it seems like colleges are trying to sell people on MET (or EET) degrees for some reason, but it isn't just a different degree, it is a lesser degree: MET is ME lite. So if you can do ME, do ME.

Related to Exploring a Degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology

1. What is Mechanical Engineering Technology?

Mechanical Engineering Technology is a field of study that focuses on the application of engineering principles to the design, development, and manufacturing of mechanical systems and products. It combines theoretical knowledge with hands-on skills to solve real-world problems and improve existing technologies.

2. What are the job opportunities for graduates with a degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology?

Graduates with a degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology have a wide range of job opportunities in various industries, such as automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, and energy. Some common job titles include mechanical engineer, design engineer, project manager, quality control engineer, and research and development engineer.

3. What skills do I need to excel in a degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology?

To excel in a degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology, you will need strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. You should also have a good understanding of mathematics, physics, and computer-aided design (CAD) software. Additionally, having excellent communication and teamwork skills will be beneficial in this field.

4. What are the typical courses in a degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology?

Some common courses in a degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology include statics and dynamics, materials science, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, machine design, and manufacturing processes. You may also have the opportunity to take specialized courses in areas such as automotive engineering, robotics, and renewable energy.

5. Can I pursue a career in research with a degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology?

Yes, you can pursue a career in research with a degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology. Many universities and research institutions offer opportunities for graduates to further their studies and conduct research in areas such as advanced materials, sustainable energy, and biomedical engineering. You can also work in research and development departments of various companies, where you will be involved in developing new technologies and improving existing ones.