Explore the Night Sky with Google Sky

In summary, the bright star Spica is situated near the center of the Sombreros galaxy, which can be seen as a fuzzy blob on Google Sky.
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
johncena said:

I don't see the moon anywhere there, but the google sky image is centered on the bright star Spica -- also "Alpha Virginis"; the brightest star in the constellation of Virgo. It's the 16th brightest star in the sky.
20060620010524!Finding_spica.png

Postscript. Now let's really have fun. There's something else in that google sky image well worth a closer look... a MUCH closer look.

Starting from that sky image, go across to your right. It is at about "12 hr 40min" on the horizontal axis, and -11deg 37' on the vertical scale -- almost aligned with Spica, vertically. There's a star, which might look a bit fuzzy.

Double click on it to zoom in... the impression of fuzzyness should increase.
And again -- definitely something of a blob. Keep clicking; you're in for a treat.

This is the Sombreros galaxy; one of the really beautiful spiral galaxies, with very dusty lanes and a large bright center. Either try finding it yourself starting out from Spica in the link above, or you can jump right there with this link

Last edited by a moderator:
click the image of moon...you will see moon near to that star

johncena said:
click the image of moon...you will see moon near to that star

Thanks -- found it! I guess it is not placed there by default because it keeps moving against the stars.

Is sun a star in any constellation?

Hi there,

I am not a pro in constellation, but the Sun is not part of or into a constellation.

You have to understand where the idea of constellation comes. When our ancesters were looking at the sky (at night) they thought that it was a roof with stars hanging from it. They also noticed that these stars were "motionless" from one another. Therefore, they thought of arranging and defining the sky from the different shapes the stars were forming. Enough of this history bull crap.

The Sun being part of (and the center) our solar system, it's relative position in the skye will keep on changing compared to the stars. Therefore, the sun will eventually cross the constellation from the ecliptic (for which there are twelve), but that's it.

Cheers

thanks...

Related to Explore the Night Sky with Google Sky

1. What is Google Sky?

Google Sky is a feature of Google Earth that allows users to explore the night sky in a virtual environment. It uses images from various sources, including telescopes and satellites, to create a comprehensive map of the stars, planets, and other celestial objects in our universe.

2. How do I access Google Sky?

To access Google Sky, you can either download and install Google Earth on your computer or use the web-based version. In both cases, you can find the Google Sky option by clicking on the "Switch between Google Earth and Sky" button, located in the top right corner of the screen.

3. Can I see real-time images on Google Sky?

No, Google Sky does not offer real-time images. The images are collected from various sources and stitched together to provide a comprehensive view of the night sky. However, you can use the "Historical Imagery" feature to see how the sky looked at different times in the past.

4. How accurate is the information on Google Sky?

The information on Google Sky is generally accurate, as it is sourced from various reputable organizations, such as NASA and the European Space Agency. However, due to the vastness of the universe and the limitations of technology, some images and data may not be 100% precise.

5. Can I use Google Sky for educational purposes?

Yes, Google Sky can be a great educational tool for students and teachers. It provides a visually engaging way to learn about the night sky and can be used to explore various astronomy concepts, such as constellations, planets, and galaxies. Google Sky also offers guided tours and educational videos to enhance the learning experience.