Explore the Holographic Universe Theory

In summary, the author is saying that it might be depressing that we don't actually know what is going on in the universe, and that the movie presented in the article is not accurate.
ObHassell
Alright, well I'm new to this, so don't yell at me for not being very good.

So I was reading about the Holographic Universe Theory and is it me or is it very depressing? I mean really...if that is the truth and the world is fake and imaginary, why would you ever actually want to tell everyone about it? I was just reading about it and watching a short introductory movie on it and i started to feel depressed!

I understand that the point of science is to find the truth and that although we may not like what the truth is sometimes, but in the end, if that is the truth, is it really worth telling everyone that the universe and everything and everyone you know and have ever met isn't real? It's terrible if you think about it, if it were a widely accepted theory, there probably would have been a lot of suicides because of it... Really... in this instance... ignorance is bliss.

Space news on Phys.org
ObHassell said:
So I was reading about the Holographic Universe Theory and is it me or is it very depressing? I mean really...if that is the truth and the world is fake and imaginary, why would you ever actually want to tell everyone about it? I was just reading about it and watching a short introductory movie on it and i started to feel depressed!
Well I don't know what you've been reading, but as I see it the Holographic Universe Theory could refer to two things, neither of which are claiming that the universe is some sort of Holodeck, as you seem to think.

1: (Proper Science) The principle that the description of a volume of space should be thought of as encoded on a boundary to the region. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Universe

2 (Paranormal) Michael Talbot's book on the relationship between consciousness and quantum physics (I've written a review at http://www.chronon.org/Science/The_holographic_universe.php)

Well, I guess I didn't elaborate enough. I don't think that what it was saying is that we're on a holodeck. What I meant was that it seems sort of depressing that (from what I've read and watched...allegedly) that we don't actually know what's going on in front of us. That we might think that we're walking into a room but really we could be walking off a cliff (I got that from What The Bleep Do We Know).

oh and I was reading Talbot's book... i must not have understood it all that well, because what I got from that was that we might not actually know what the world really looks like, only what we perceive, which could be grossly wrong. Maybe I missed something...or a lot of it.

That movie is just a load of crap. I wouldn't put much stock in what is said in it.

Hmm...Okay...I guess I am somewhat ignorant on the real physics behind all this stuff...I'm just getting into Physics and I like it a lot so I figured I'd expand on what I know...guess I don't know enough to tell yet.

Related to Explore the Holographic Universe Theory

1. What is the Holographic Universe Theory?

The Holographic Universe Theory is a scientific theory that suggests our perceived three-dimensional reality is actually a projection of information stored on a two-dimensional surface. This theory is based on the idea that the entire universe can be seen as a giant hologram, where all the information about the universe is contained in its boundary or surface.

2. How does the Holographic Universe Theory work?

According to the theory, the universe can be seen as a hologram because the information that makes up our reality is encoded on a two-dimensional surface. This surface is often referred to as the "holographic screen" and is thought to be located at the outer edge of the universe. The information on this screen can then be projected into our three-dimensional reality, creating the illusion of space and time.

3. What evidence supports the Holographic Universe Theory?

One of the main pieces of evidence for the Holographic Universe Theory is the holographic principle, which was first proposed by physicist Leonard Susskind in the 1990s. This principle states that the information in a higher-dimensional space can be encoded on a lower-dimensional surface, much like how a hologram works. Additionally, recent studies in quantum mechanics and astrophysics have also provided evidence for the theory.

4. What are the implications of the Holographic Universe Theory?

If the Holographic Universe Theory is true, it would mean that our perception of reality is not as straightforward as we once thought. It would also challenge our understanding of space and time, as well as the fundamental laws of physics. The theory also has implications for our understanding of consciousness and the interconnectedness of the universe.

5. Is the Holographic Universe Theory widely accepted in the scientific community?

While the Holographic Universe Theory is gaining more attention and support from scientists, it is still considered a controversial theory. Some scientists argue that there is not enough evidence to support it, while others see it as a promising avenue for further research. As with any scientific theory, it will continue to be tested, debated, and refined as our understanding of the universe evolves.